1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Wrapped mounts only

Discussion in 'Lifesize Mammals' started by snowhare, Feb 24, 2011.

1. snowhare

snowhare New Member

I think this would be a great topic for all of us showing our wrapped stuff , we can learn a lot just from seeing and sharing info on this , so

LET PUT SOME WRAPPED MAMMELS ON HERE PLEASE

Snowhare

WHO DARES

2. LordRusty

LordRusty If I agreed with you, we'd both be wrong.

Okay ... these are from many years ago. Since I no longer wrap bodies for mounts, these are some of the only records I have of wrapped body mounts.

From 1977 ... plywood center board, excelsior wrapped, with leg bones, and paper headform that I laid up in a plaster mold. At the 1977 NTA in Albany, I entered this piece in an impromptu competition, and was awarded a blue ribbon. Happy day!
    [​IMG]

From 1977 ... plywood center board, excelsior wrapped, with leg bones and threaded rods, and natural skull wrapped with excelsior, and clay.
    [​IMG]

From 1978 ... Excelsior wrapped body, with leg bones and plaster cast head, modeled with clay.
    [​IMG]

From 1980/81 ... plywood center board, excelsior wrapped, with leg bones and threaded rods, and plaster cast skull. This Wolf was kept in an apartment house basement, was underweight, and had a collar embedded in its neck. By the time Animal Control arrived to confiscate it, it had been killed. Mounted for the arresting officer.
    [​IMG]

From 1990 ... wrapped bodies, with leg bones, and Bondo cast headforms, clay details.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

From 1990 ... wrapped body, with leg bones, Bondo cast head, with a final layer of Mache' injected under the skin to produce skin folds.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

These days I prefer to use a commercially available mannikin, or make a carcass cast. Arthritis in my hands doesn't allow me to hold excelsior and wrap with string any more. Plus, I would have to charge a price no one would be willing to pay, and I'm in this to make money. I don't do Taxidermy for the fun of it anymore.

John.

3. Nina Lukaszewicz

Nina Lukaszewicz Outdoor Dreams Taxidermy

awesome thread. Marking

4. John_NY

John_NY Northern N.Y.

Man those dogs look alive. Gotta keep an eye on this thread. The Raccoon looks great and the 2 squirrels together is awesome.

John

5. Daniel M.

Daniel M. Tongo, the best dog in the world. (Saarloos)

X2 So I'll share... Here's one I did for a museum, both are wrapped :)

Attached Files:

6. Daniel M.

Daniel M. Tongo, the best dog in the world. (Saarloos)

And a sloth...

Attached Files:

7. KansasBuck

KansasBuck New Member

amazing what you old timers did with what you had to work with. Looking at Wa's leopard in the other thread, I guess it is not yet a lost art. would love to see some tutorials.

8. wa

wa Thanks John...this depicts me better

WoooooooooooW thats what I'm talking.. about Nice stuff

9. Nina Lukaszewicz

Nina Lukaszewicz Outdoor Dreams Taxidermy

My first wrapped animal, a young raccoon.

[​IMG]

10. Daniel, that is probably the best weasel mount I have ever seen! Great job!

11. snowhare

snowhare New Member

wellllllllllllllllllllllllllll

This seems to go well all thoose nice wrapped animmals , man i love to see this thread gooing for a long long time , so keep em posting on here

c ya

Snow

12. They are all good examples, but that weasel, or 'ermine' as we know them in the UK, is superb. Thanks for posting these mounts that are made up from the old method of wrapping. Wishing you well, stargazer.

13. Just when you think it can't get any better!! Superb stuff snowy, that ermine, one of my most favourite of all species, has a virtual second life in it's pose and appearance! Thanks for sharing them my friend. Wishing you well, stargazer.

14. tracy

tracy coon dogs

nice job

15. This is a great new thread!

I will add some wrapped stuffs to this:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

16. I see a squirrel a couple of times a week just like that top one with a black chin and belly where I work. Pretty neat.

17. highlander

highlander "There can be only One"

Neat

18. Red stag

Red stag Active Member

Norway
    Good work everybody. Here are some wrapped stuff too.... Ollie

Attached Files:

19. Red stag

Red stag Active Member

Norway
    marten...