1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Wrapped mounts only

Discussion in 'Lifesize Mammals' started by snowhare, Feb 24, 2011.

1. sonarie

sonarie Member

UK
    A very dark red fox, wrapped body and legs and my first carved fox head

Attached Files:

2. sonarie

sonarie Member

UK
    another

Attached Files:

3. Daniel M.

Daniel M. Tongo, the best dog in the world. (Saarloos)

Ohio
    Great work everyone!!!

Here's a Black Handed Spider Monkey that I wrapped, it's hard to wrap those long legs ;D

Attached Files:

4. LordRusty

LordRusty If I agreed with you, we'd both be wrong.

Ohio
    When I saw this in the Ohio show results, I just knew this had to be one of your pieces. Primates are a challenge ... no doubt about it! Well done, my friend ... well done!

5. Museum Man

Museum Man Well-Known Member

daniel, the face is dead on....perfect job......also putting the pectoralis major muscle in the proper position with the hanging arm looks great.....your attention to detail is what has made you an exceptional taxidermist....your artwork is second to none!!

6. snowhare

snowhare New Member

M r Daniel :eek: :eek:

Great ape ya did there love the pooze , just one lill thing the face and feet are for ME a bit to shiny , nolmaly it is a more waxy look ok , hope you dont mind me saying here

Cheers Snow

7. Museum Man

Museum Man Well-Known Member

i agree with you snowhare....looking at it again, tweeking it with a lite overspary of a soft flat black would be the final stroke

8. Daniel M.

Ohio
    Thanks guys :)

Snowhare, how do you make it look more waxy? That would look more realistic, and please feel free to tell me anything you see wrong with any of my mounts, they are far from perfect and I learn a lot when pro's like you enlighten me ;D

I should add that it was a very old female and she had very little hair on her legs and tail. I spent quite some time airbrushing different colors of paint all over the body to sort of hide/blend the sparse or bare areas.

9. LordRusty

LordRusty If I agreed with you, we'd both be wrong.

Ohio
    Daniel, in general, any black paints we use - unless listed as a flat black - will dry a bit on the shiny side. One thing you can do after the paint dries, is combine both black and brown dry - powdered - Tempera paint, until you get the hue you desire.

Then, using a soft makeup brush, lightly dab or stipple this dry mix all over the exposed and painted skin.

Blow away any excess.

Continue this until you get the look you are after.

When satisfied, use a clear, flat or matte aerosol acrylic sealer, or spray 'fixative' to lock the powder onto the skin.

The nice thing about this method - if done lightly and repeatedly - is you can achieve a nice look of depth to the skin, especially on the face.

I hope this helps.

Best of luck to you, my friend.

10. coyote4

coyote4 Member

Great tip John! Thanks for sharing.

11. snowhare

snowhare New Member

12. Wow. All of these look so alive and realisitic. I think I love this kind of mounting.

13. mdupertuis

mdupertuis Active Member

Daniel, very nice. You sure do nice work, and do some unique animals.

14. jevic035

jevic035 Member

marking

15. heres one for me.. badger... just done not long ago ;D

Attached Files:

16. Daniel M.

Ohio
    Re: Re: Wrapped mounts only

Just a simple sleeping beaver... just put him together tonight... well this morning now, lol

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

17. Allie

Allie Active Member

Nice job, Daniel, as usual. Did you carve the head? And why does the body look so shiny and smooth, do you cover it with something? Thanks.

18. Daniel M.

Ohio
    Yes, the head is carved, and sometimes I like to wrap the bodies with plastic stretch wrap (the kind they use in shipping) It firms it up, and smoothes it out at the same time. IMO it just makes mounting them easier.

Thanks for the kind words :)

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

19. Allie

Allie Active Member

Thanks, that's what I figured. I don't know why I never thought of that, but I am certainly going to do it on my next one. Wrap it and then wrap it again!

20. RTF

RTF Active Member

Nice job on the beaver