1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Wrapped mounts only

Discussion in 'Lifesize Mammals' started by snowhare, Feb 24, 2011.

1. Museum Man

Museum Man Well-Known Member

great job tom

2. BrianHendricks

BrianHendricks Member

Very nice and love seeing the wrapped forms before mounting.

3. That's some great work. Thanks for sharing.

4. tomh

tomh Member

Badger and otter from Finland. Both wrapped.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

5. BrianHendricks

BrianHendricks Member

Very nice Tom. Great toe work on that otter!

6. Those are cool mounts tomh. Otter looks very nice
    Greetings
    Tom

7. Museum Meg

Museum Meg New Member

Hi all,

This is my first time posting here, though I have been reading the forum for a while for tips and tricks. But I have an important project on my hands, and I can't screw up. So I want some insight/constructive criticism from talented folks like yourselves.

I am mounting four brown rats for a museum diorama of a sewer scene. From left to right (not necessarily in the order they will be in the diorama), they are (1) eating, (2) sniffing what the other is eating, (3) standing to investigate a pipe, (4) grooming. You will notice that only one has a head and that same one does not yet have arms-- all are very much a work in progress. Also the legs are placed loosely since I'm still working on them.

Since this will be on display indefinitely and premiering in a new exhibit, I want them to look right. So if you see anything obvious that I should change/correct before I put the hides on them, please let me know. I personally think the walking one looks bad in this photo and better in person, but it also was my first of these four so I have honed my technique since. I can also take more photos if that would be helpful; these are just a couple of quick shots I took yesterday.

Thank you for your thoughts!

Attached Files:

AlpineValleyTaxidermy likes this.
  8. mr useless

mr useless Member

Spain
    Seems limbs are attached onto the forms, are you using flat skinned pelts? great job by the way!

9. Yes, I used to attach 'em like that when have flat pelts. I mostly have flat pelts while mounting medium mammals. Only smaller do traditional way.
    Greetings
    Tom

10. Brian

Brian Active Member

You guys are the true masters of the taxidermy world.well done everyone.the otter is amazing.

11. mr useless

mr useless Member

Spain
    thanx for the reply, i just work on small /medium, as much bigger a badger but never tried the flat pelts, always done the traditional way, i hate sewing ;D, do you find lot of advance on the flat way? at least skinning would be easier , in example foxes with their thin hateful legs also would be easier to work over the form, isnt it?

12. Great work everyone, the otter is very nice!
    Here's a squirrel that was full of holes and hands shot to bits.

[​IMG]

13. MidwestTaxidermist

MidwestTaxidermist New Member

My goodness there are some really fantastic looking mounts in here! Great work guys! :)

14. conor44

conor44 New Member

Would the skin not have a bumpy texture over wood wool?

15. It is smooth after paste. Forms can be wrapped smooth. It just takes practice.

Here's a Missouri bobcat.

[​IMG]

16. RTF

RTF Active Member

I'm blown away at your wrapping ability Codi.

17. Ron Kelly

Ron Kelly Active Member

Did a little wrapping last week. Here is a Porky for a good customer.

Attached Files:

18. Ron Kelly

Ron Kelly Active Member

And a little cottontail.

Attached Files:

19. Here's young roe deer I did couple months ago

20. Wrapped body

Attached Files:

AlpineValleyTaxidermy likes this.