1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

My version of major antler repair(Finished pic of the mount)

Discussion in 'Tutorials' started by Matt, Feb 24, 2011.

1. Matt

Matt Active Member

Well, I thought I would share my version of this major re-build I have to do for a client of mine. Keep in mind, this is how I do it, and I am sure there are better ways!(LOL) The first pics shows you what I have to work with!(LOL) The second pic shows 1/4" all thread epoxied in place after drilling out the base of the break. I don't have the cure of the main beam set just yet, but I will. I will post my progress as I go on this, but it probably won't be everyday. I will keep you posted!

Attached Files:

2. Matt

Matt Active Member

Re: My version of major antler repair

This third pic shows the start of my tine support. I use a heavier gauge wire for the actual tine, and smaller wire to tie it in. When all of these are set and the shape is right, I will epoxy the wiring to hold it in place to start the re-building. In the fourth pic, this just shows the wire ties for support. I should point out that the main beam and all the tines are measured in relation to the other side, including spacing. The beauty of this is I can set the curve and bend in everything before I epoxy the wire to hold it in place.

Attached Files:

3. antlerman

antlerman NTA Life Member #0118

Wow Matt. You got yourself a project there. I remember the last time I had one like that that I did like that. Allot of work. You will earn your money on that one. Have fun! LOL

I don't do them like that anymore, but I use to. 1000.00 job right there.

4. Matt

Matt Active Member

Thanks Tim, yes, I will be getting paid for this one. I was going to save this one for you, but I thought what the heck. I wanted to cast the other side from another rack, but I didn't have anything close enough for this one. That would've be an easy job!

5. camarogirl

camarogirl Hunting is MURDER! Tasty, tasty murder. ~steak~

Marking, it should be pretty cool so see this come together. Thanks for sharing, Matt. :)

6. tem

tem Well-Known Member

matt. i shot one like that one in 2010. same side gone. was thinking about doing what your doing. ill be watching you. never did one be for. so I'm gona give it a shot. if i mess up ill tare it down and do again. be good pratice for me. I'm sure you'll do a good job. you always do. marc.

7. George

George The older I get, the better I was.

Matt, there's no doubt what you're doing will work, but I'm going to pick your mind a bit. Why didn't you use 5 heavy gauge wires instead of the threadstock (I don't trust threadstock, but in this use it won't really matter.) I always used one separate wire for each point. I know David Hale does as well in his big repro's that he donates at the NTA. That way when all 5 get to the first point, only 4 continue and the fifth one goes up the point. This continues till the main beam is only a single wire. Then I wrap them with aircraft safety wire as an armature for the epoxy putty. Just asking. Knowing you, yours is going to look better than the real deal anyway.

8. dktaxidermy

dktaxidermy I'm on top of the dirt; how bad can it be?

This should be worth watching for a newbie like me. just did a European and could have charged for the repair, but didn't know how to do it. although it was nowhere near this much work.

kirby

9. scpol

scpol Wholesale Bird Taxidermy....Fan of Mike & Harry

Come on Matt...Get to work, and hurry up... ;D ;D

10. Randy Miller

Randy Miller Active Member

George, describe "aircraft safety wire" please?

11. George

George The older I get, the better I was.

Aircraft "safety wire" or "lock wire" is used to hold nuts and bolts in place on aircraft if the bolt shears. You can find it in .020,, .032, and .040 diameters. The .032 is the most universal and can be bought in plastic spools from Harbor Freight. I just wrap the big wires in a spiral binding of safetywire and it gives the epoxy "tooth" to hold on to. Still, I know that David Hale uses one inch masking tape and hot glue to secure his.

12. Matt

Matt Active Member

George, I simply like all thread. I work with it alot, and it is very durable for many applications. Why would you not trust it in this case? It's a good foundation for mainbeam work. When I pour epoxy over the joints at the base of each point, they are locked in to start my re-build. My points are even more stout with 12 gauge wrapped up the bases of the points. What I have done so far I have about 1/2 hr. in it. I will keep you guys posted when I work on it.

13. Shedfreak435

Shedfreak435 New Member

No update yet? I check this post everyday cuz im so excited to see the work progress. Hows it coming so far?

14. Matt

Matt Active Member

Been alittle busy, don't worry, I will be starting it here soon and I will get some pics for you. Stay tuned!

15. RICKP

RICKP Let'er Buck

I been waiting for someone to do a tut like this. I can't seem to find a match to mine either so I will end up doing the same thing when I get brave.

16. kdogg_4

kdogg_4 Member

marking.. Interested in the Matt George dispute.. Two tutorials in one!!!

Brianjax likes this.
  17. bill@hogheaven

[email protected] New Member

Marking...I always appreciate seeing Matts work.

18. TRAPPERGIRL

TRAPPERGIRL Proud Member-Taxidermy M.A.F.I.A. & Taxinet Clique

Marking also ;D

19. murph

murph Member

marking also!!!!!! wanna see the progress on this!

20. Re: My version of major antler repair

;D