1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

My version of major antler repair(Finished pic of the mount)

Discussion in 'Tutorials' started by Matt, Feb 24, 2011.

1. det81

det81 Member

Re: My version of major antler repair(FINALLY UNDERWAY!)

marking

2. huntin_justin

huntin_justin Active Member

lookin real good Matt

3. Non-TypicalArtist

Non-TypicalArtist ABOVE Expectations. BEYOND Ordinary.

mark

4. Re: My version of major antler repair(FINALLY UNDERWAY!)

marking

5. Re: My version of major antler repair(FINALLY UNDERWAY!)

Thanks for sharing your knowledge, super thread, wishing you well, stargazer.

6. antlerman

antlerman NTA Life Member #0118

Looking great Matt. Nice job so far.

7. Re: My version of major antler repair(FINALLY UNDERWAY!)

Great work as always, Matt. Please post pics of the finished mount.

8. Re: My version of major antler repair(FINALLY UNDERWAY!)

marking

9. Matt

Matt Active Member

Thanks for the comments guys .I hope this will help someone out in the long run. I started some coloring today and wanted to just get the base colors started so I know where to go from here. I started the base color with a mix of off white and yellow ochre. All colors I am using are acrylics. Very little ochre is used in conjunction with the white. You basically want to come up with a base color as close to the rack as you can. It will make your job of coloring alot easier from the start. Please note that none of the color is brushed on, but rather stippled on and blotted with a paper towel. I don't use much and I come back with very fine steel wool to break it up a bit, using the other side as my guide. This rack had some greyish hews coming through and I wanted to match that as best I could. I then started off with another base coat of burnt umber. This color is stippled on with a shader brush, and then blotted as I go with a piece of paper towel.

Attached Files:

10. Matt

Matt Active Member

Once the base coat of burnt umber is done, I come back in the grooves and detail of the antler and darken those areas a bit. Again, stippling the paint with the shader and blotting as I go. Remember, you want to build color as you go. Start out light, you can always add to it. Here is a shot where you can see the difference in the base coat of burnt umber, and the original base coat of off white and yellow ochre.. Here is another shot where I started darkening the g-2, you can really start to see it take shape here.

Attached Files:

11. Matt

Matt Active Member

Here is one more of the base of the break. This is where you want to start blending the color. Burnt umber was a pretty good match here for the base coat. Once I get the color close, I will come in and steel wool some back off, creating some blotchy areas of grey to match characteristics of the other side. I will post some of those when I get to it. Again, take your time and remember none of the color is applied by brushing it on. Also remember to use the existing rack as your guide. The color and patterns are there, you just need to find the best way to match them. In this case stippling and blotting best represent the color. Stay tuned, we aren't done yet!

Attached Files:

12. buckcrazy

buckcrazy New Member

Great job Matt, thanks for taking the time and showing this from start to finish. Their are some great people on this site and you are definitely one of them!!!

13. Matt

Matt Active Member

Hey, thanks for the kind words, but we aren't quite there yet. I will be getting to the rest of the coloring here soon, and post some finished pics. Then when I get the wt mounted, I will post some final pics on it. I hope this is some help for those that are alittle intimidated about taking on a project like this. They really aren't that bad if you take it one step at a time. Hopefully this one is starting to look like an antler!

14. RICKP

RICKP Let'er Buck

Well Matt, yes it is tempting me to try it myself on this one.
    Question is,,, if I screw it up are you gonna let me send it to you to fix?? lol

[​IMG]

15. Matt

Matt Active Member

Wow Rick, that is just like this one I did, only the other side!

16. gottahunt

gottahunt New Member

Thanks for all the great info and taking the time for all us beginers we dont have many people around to ask for help. I have to repair a couple broken tines on some red stag racks pretty soon. Cant wait to see the final results.

Sean

17. Re: My version of major antler repair(FINALLY UNDERWAY!)

Great job Matt! I'm anxious to see it finished.

18. Matt

Matt Active Member

Well guys, I had some time at the end of the day to finish the coloring. Here are some finished pics. I might come back tomorrow and hit it with alittle steel wool to create some polished areas like the other side has, but it is pretty much complete. Most of the coloring today was done by stippling the color and blotting it off with a paper towel. Then I came back over some of the detail by blotting the paint on with a piece of paper towel. This took away some of the sharpness and softened the detail. I hope this helps someone tackle a re-build like this. Most probably don't re-build them by hand like this anymore, but rather cast them. I personally like to sculpt them by hand as it really wasn't that bad. All and all, I have around 6 hrs in this including building the framework. Enjoy!

Attached Files:

19. Matt

Matt Active Member

Here are a couple more shots of the finished side.

Attached Files:

20. Joey Arender

Joey Arender big mouth alert

very nice Matt