1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Hungarian partridge

Discussion in 'Bird Reference Photos' started by Nancy C, Mar 21, 2007.

1. Nancy C

Nancy C Well-Known Member

I know these photos aren't good for details, but the pose is interesting. Here is the courtship display of a Hungarian partridge:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. mark11

mark11 now accepting new wholesale clients

Question for Nancy C

I was just looking at some of the bird reference and saw your post of the Huns displaying. It appears that the male doesn't have a tail so was wondering what role does his tail play in the display. I have a pair in my pen but they did not display at all, the hen only laid 11 eggs and only one hatched. It is our first season with them and was just curious, as beautiful as the tail is on these birds it has to be used. Thanks, Mark.

3. Nancy C

Re: Question for Nancy C

I know it's hard to tell from that angle, but he had a very good tail. It was partly fanned, and you can see the very tips in a couple of the shots, but he seemed to mainly be displaying his underside and the stripes on his sides and his rump.

4. Bill H

Bill H New Member

Nancy,

Do Hungarian partridges require a lot of space to raise? How big is your pen?

Thanks,
    Bill

5. Nancy C

They don't need a huge amount of space. My pen is 3ft x 8ft and is a double decker. Both levels are made so that I can slide a partition in and divide them in half. I have successfully kept up to 4 pairs in this pen, so apparently they can do well in a 3x4 ft area. The main thing about them that seems to be different from other upland birds is that they really only work as pairs.
    Groups and trios will fight non-stop until only a pair is left.

6. Tom Mayer

Tom Mayer Member

I have raised Hun's and Chukar's. I alway's seperated the pair's during breeding season. Vicious at that time of the year.