1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

loosing whiskers

Discussion in 'Beginners' started by Thesteeleboy, Feb 25, 2011.

1. Thesteeleboy

Thesteeleboy Member

Utah
    :mad: I have sent bobcats, coyotes, badger, deer and fox out for tanning and when they come back they have a lot fewer, or hardly no whiskers left. I talked to the tannery and they said that's just normal. Do I just need to find another tannery, or will this be the case regardless of where I send them.

2. What tannery? That is NOT normal.

3. Thesteeleboy

Thesteeleboy Member

Utah
    It is a local tannery here in Utah. I have tried one other tannery, but with the same results. When they thin the face area, they cut the base off the whiskers and thenthey are gone.

4. redwolf

redwolf Active Member

I know it's a pain in the butt to have to do it on just about all your mounts, and I'm not saying you should "have to" replace them, but boar hair is a good substitute for whiskers.

5. when you prep and salt your skin take the extra time to clean between the whiskers and tell the damn tannery not to touch the whisker areas at all. Or change tanneries.

6. Brent W

Brent W New Member

Just curious what tanners you used?

7. JRose

JRose Member

I have worked with hides and capes from various tanneries, and always, always have this problem. Either the whiskers are completely gone, or actually seem to be cut-off on the fur side so I'm left with goofy stumpy half-whiskers. =( How would one acquire boar hair to use as replacement whiskers? I am interested in this.

8. redwolf

redwolf Active Member

You can post in wanted. There are a bunch that hunt them here.

9. Thesteeleboy

Thesteeleboy Member

Utah
    Thanks for the advise everyone. Ill see if I do a better job between the whiskers, and then mention it again to the tannery, if that cures the problem. Before I mention any names of the tannery, I want to make certain it wasn't my own fault for not prepping between them good enough.

10. Quite honestly a GOOD shaver can properly clean the whisker beds with the machine. Me? Hell no! It takes me a couple of hours to clean them up real nice.

11. Quill

Quill New Member

I have never ever lost a whisker on a hide from the tannnery process. My tannery never touch the whiskers.
    As a prevention (which I have never done but have read about) you can remove the whiskers yourself before you have tanned, then when the hide is back from the tannery poke a fresh hole with a needle where the whisker should go, from the leather side and slide the whisker back into the hole, when the butt end is just barley sticking out on the leather side, glue with a dab of crazy glue.

12. Mr.T

Mr.T Active Member

We pull all of the cat whiskers before sending them out to tan. Keep them in a baggie, and put them back on after the mount has dried. You can get them next to perfect that way, if you leave them in, they get bent and broken even if you tan them yourself. Or dry crooked. What good is it for the tannery to leave the wiskers on, only to have the taxidermist let them dry crooked?

13. JRose

JRose Member

That's some really good advice! Never thought to do that!

14. Quill

Quill New Member

Could you please explain the process of replacing those whiskers before mounting?
    aprreciated!

15. Mr.T

Mr.T Active Member

Quill,
    Use a tiny drill bit, and super glue.

16. Quill the whiskers are replaced after it is mounted.

17. Quill

Quill New Member

Thank you for your answer. Although I have never lost whiskers in tanning process, I think pulling them and replacing them would mean I would not have to recess the form where whiskers go to accomadate the knobs where the whiskers attach. Appreciate your time and advice.