1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Wolf tanning for rug Question

Discussion in 'Lifesize Mammals' started by arrowed1, Feb 25, 2011.

1. i have a wolf I shot in BC a few years ago. It is tubed and dry tanned in MIchigan by ? I was originally going to do a lifesize but have changed my plan and would like to rug it. Is it too late to rehydrate the head and how can I test it for slipping? I hate to just see that wolf as a throw. Any help is appreciated

2. When a client sends me a skin for rugging and they are not sure how old the skin is, I cut a small piece off of the skin from an area you will be trimming anyways after it is rugged (flank area works well). I soak that piece in a margarine tub with lukewarm water for 1/2 to 1 hour. Then remove it and pull on the piece every which way. If it is dry rotted it will either turn to mush or tear easily when you pull on it. If the leather is nice and strong I would feel confident and proceed with re-hydrating.

Kind regards,
    Mary

3. bearrug48

bearrug48 Active Member

Mary has some good advice

4. Thanks Mary and Bearrug. I thought it was more of a slipping issue rather than dry rotting the hide.
    Kevin

5. Hey Kevin,

I guess first we should have clarified where the hide has been stored. If it was in the freezer, you will be fine. If it wasn't in a freezer, for the past few years, then at this point it isn't a slipping issue, it is an issue of whether or not your commercially tanned leather will fall apart when rehydrated, which is more of a dry rot or grease burn issue. The ears and feet will be the most fragile areas. Try soaking a foot up and that should pretty much tell you how the head will hold up. If the foot wants to fall apart at least you can let it dry and still have your hanger.

Kind regards,
    Mary

6. Thanks Mary. for all the help.