1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

One of the largest deer in velvet we have done

Discussion in 'Deer and Gameheads' started by Kastaway, Feb 25, 2011.

1. Bodog

Bodog New Member

Sorry but I am not in "awe" but instead disgusted by the fact that people get off pumping a deer full of growth hormone or whatever to see how you can mess up an animal to see how big the rack can get. Videos of deer walking around hardly able to hold their heads up is a disgrace to an unbelievable animal.

2. 7-Point

7-Point Active Member

That is a huge deer! Nice work.

3. Kastaway

Kastaway Taxidermist, Pioneer of Freeze Drying 1969

Sorry about a photo of transition. The customer picked it up today before I could get a good photo.
    On another, too bad some people have to go thru life with such a negative outlook. The deer was their main breeder. It was not made to just see how big it could grow. Just enjoy the photos for what they are. If you don't like it, don't look.

4. ncdeerhunter2002

ncdeerhunter2002 New Member

Nice work,I was wandering about the winter cape on it,Looks like they were in his way to get into the feeding trough.Looks like he would have bled to death with that much blood in the horns not coming back in,,just a thought.

5. Spysar

Spysar Member

Not impressed at all. It's sad that humans have altered this deer so bad that it can't survive with it's own rack....

This mount will just ruin peoples perception of wild deer...

It just makes jokers with deep pockets think they are great hunters, when in fact they suck, and are ruining the fair chase aspect of deer hunting.

A wild spike horn is 100% more impressive.

6. Kastaway

Sorry now I even posted the photo. These negative post are a real waste. There are not too many hunters that would bring in a spike to have mounted. Taxidermy is a business. So many people think they are taxidermist, but can not make a go of it because they are not businessmen. I just wanted to show how large of a rack we can freeze dry correctly, mount it without any bases, a real feat, and produce a nice commercial mount. If some people think that is sad, there is no convincing them. This is a business that can be a satisfying, but more important, this post was just to show an interesting mount, not to brag how big a deer can grow.

7. Justin P.

Justin P. Active Member

Very well said.

I usually have a huge whitetail in the shop at any given time. Whether it be a reproduction or the real thing. These deer are often for collectors / whitetail enthusiasts. I get comments in the shop ALL the time. "Why would someone want that? They didn't even shoot it." On and on.
    I always ask if they've ever bought a painting or a picture and hung it up in their home. The critics always reply "Yes". I ask them why they hung it up if they didn't paint it or take the picture. Then they quickly understand.
    Hunting, taxidermy etc. is a business. It's what some of us do EVERYDAY. It's not just a season that rolls around once a year.
    So if you come in my studio and rip on the mounted doe or the 300+" pen raised brute remember one thing. It all pays the same to me and I'm thankful for EVERY piece of work that comes through my door.
    I've never met a taxidermist that gets paid to judge someone's trophy.

8. Kastaway I think its a very nice mount and very impressive that you were able to freeze dry those antlers and then be able to mount them without the skull plate. It had to be very difficult since those antlers must weigh a ton.

9. TIM DUNCAN

TIM DUNCAN surry county va

wow that is a hog

10. bubba z

bubba z New Member

Nice work . I've never heard of a fair chase only taxidermist. If you want to turn away work because it is high fence then that is your choice but don't criticize somebody else because they are in business to make money. You'd have to be stupid to turn away work if your in business to make a profit . If a rich guy brings a 200" deer for you to mount noone with any business sense would say I won't mount it because it wasn't fair chase unless he was a complete idiot.I never got hired by a poor person.

11. sportsman126

sportsman126 New Member

i thinks whats more impressive than the deer is the quality and the work it must of took to make it work, how much did the antlers weight. looks like a deer had a bad case of tunnel vision. and for those who frown upon the actual specimen itself need to focus on otherthings of that nature in society such as human growth hormones or even breast enlargement i bet both of them would complain about the bigger headlights, either way its obvious this post was not to boast the ability to make a deer grow larger but yet the ability to successfully pull off a velvet mount on that many inches of antler without faulting the process and actually have a desirable outcome. job well done.

12. Bodog

Bodog New Member

My response was in no sense meant to be disrespect to the Kastaway or the nice work that you did on the mount or the fact that a person needs to make a living. It looks great and I apologize if I offended you. Many of the posts here were about the deer "Hog", "Moose", not the beautiful work. As far as I can see there is nothing wrong with this discussion, I just disagree with what is done to make these deer grow the racks they grow - not the fact that they get them mounted. Everyone has their opinion and I voiced mine. I respect the other opinions as well.

13. ChoppTax

ChoppTax New Member

I love looking at these bucks, but its man screwing with mother nature. Some time ago I have been in some of the bigest trophy rooms and have seen animals from all over the world. If looked at real close tho, you wont see a whitetail. Most of these animals have been hunted with a gun and lots of cash. Now the hunter with the gun and cash can satisfy is ego on a huge whitail. Its just sad what man has done to the world

14. sportsman126

sportsman126 New Member

I agree to some extent but we are all guilty of "what man has done to the world" its human nature to find value on certain things that are not exactly original by any means or to alter living things to our preference, but to this we are all guilty, so to point fingers at one without looking at a whole is just throwing a rock in a pond expecting to ride a wave. Take the K9 for example there are so many breeds now and in all actually majority of what we prise today is not original and was all altered for the "mans" likings. And majority of breeds have health issues as result of the cross breeding they have gone through. Or take a look at the Mule. that is another altered species and if not for them I'm sure we would be where we are today, or have gotten to where we are as quick as we have. Now i am in no way condoning any of this but just playing devils advocate. Before frowning on what others have taken prize in actually look at yourself and say your not guilty.

IMO i prize more actually harvesting a whitetail myself without a guide or a fenced in deer, but thats my own moral standar, i will not knock someone elses because they have not been raised like myself, but with that being said if i had an opportunity at a trophy girlfriend i would not pass that up even tho its not the same as a life partner haha.

15. Kastaway

Bodog, appreciate your note. I was just so happy we pulled it off for those horns were like putting a small moose rack on a deer with no skull. I was very concerned that we would make it secure. I have been in business since 1962, and this was very taxing. I really appreciate all the kind words of the taxidermy involved in the project. It is different. Enough said.

16. Justin P.

Justin P. Active Member

Of all that man has done and accomplished I'm most thankful for Al Gore inventing the internet.

17. Bill Yox

Bill Yox Well-Known Member

Ever notice that a guy who makes these comments doesnt own deer? Furthermore, how many of us that own deer know that if it were as simple as some additive making deer huge, we would, and wouldnt they ALL be huge? As well, when wild deer come in your shop for taxidermy, let me know when the purists turn away ones that are too big.

Taxidermy shops across the country THRIVE on the size of the trophy. Most of our customers are a result of pride in their accomplishment. Thats a process that I, for one, do not care to question or mess with. Im very thankful that people have pride, egoes, and a measuring device. Its a damn shame that resentment, jealousy and negativity must creep in. If its a deer farm, they talk drugging the deer. Its no different then in the wild, where the hunter is immediately accused of poaching it. Negative...and a shame.

I am proud of the work I turn out as a taxidermist. I worked hard to learn methods and create even more methods to make my work popular. I am also proud of the deer I raise as a farmer. I worked hard to introduce animals with favorable genetic traits that would take more chance than design to see in the wild.

Joe, thank you for showing us a mount youre proud of, just like we do everyday in these forums. I can understand what a job that was, and even though I do not currently have one of that immense size at MY shop, its always fun to see what others are doing. The sharing in these forums is great. Those who spoke about whats wrong with the deer farming industry, I hope that they might see another opinion of what really is, and how that relates to us as taxidermists. Nice work Joe.

18. jmcclain29

jmcclain29 New Member

AWSOME!!!!!!!!!!!

19. smallfish

smallfish New Member

It is a breeder buck from Ohio. All I know they had to cut the horns off the deer to save it's life.

20. Heath Cline

Heath Cline Well-Known Member

Ohio
    Bill, well said.
    But don't you know its steroids & HGH ( horn growth hormone) that make these bucks get huge !! ::) ::) ::) HAHA
    If you find some for sale, I want to buy some & put out for my local wild deer to eat to make them bigger !!! ;D

But like you said if thats all it took, why don't you & every other person who raises deer have herds full of 400" bucks running around ?? LOL
    Some just don't get it !