1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

aoudad question

Discussion in 'Deer and Gameheads' started by Daniel Callan, Feb 25, 2011.

1. How long should it take for me to get horns off the cores.
    I set the horns in water for a week, than wrapped them in plastic for a week now.
    I still can't get them off the cores,

should I try something else

Any advice would be appreciated

Thanks
    Daniel

2. Are they moving at all on the cores? Could it be a suction bond in the core? Have you tried tapping them with a plastic or wooden mallet? If it is a suction going on try drilling a small hole on the back of the horn toward the end of the core. I had set that was close to impossible just because of the suction when I pulled on the horn.

3. Head Hunter

Head Hunter Member

Put a flat head screw driver up under the edge and gentlly try to pry them off. Dont pull them up so much tat you tear the horn!

4. boarhunter67

boarhunter67 Well-Known Member

Take a scalpel or razor blade and cut around the bases angling the blade so it is cutting up into the core, but not cutting the horns at all.

5. I've tried tapping with malet, nothing
    I've already used a scalpel and pushed it as far as I could into the cores
    I now have them back in plastic for a bit.
    I'll try a small hole next time.

How far does the core go up the horn on an aoudad?

Thanks for the help guys

Any more ideas out there

6. I have had it take a month to get them to come off before. Keep them warm as you can, they will eventually pop off.

7. The core goes about 3/4 in the horn. Dennis is also correct. Some of them will pop right off and some take a while. Let me guess, it's a large set. Correct?

8. I guess it's big enough set 25 or 28 inches I think

9. Are you rushed to get them slipped? If not, let them stew in the plastic longer and keep trying.

10. not really in a rush, I'll let them sit as long as it takes I guess