1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Just mounted a couple on Joe Combs...not bad (pic's added)

Discussion in 'Deer and Gameheads' started by dhart, Feb 25, 2011.

1. dhart

dhart Active Member

I just mounted a couple deer on Joe Combs, my first venture on those forms. I had a couple capes that were mature deer, but, small (7 1/4x 18). I find the other companies smaller forms fit, but, look like immature deer. These were both 3 1/2 mature northern bucks, with smaller frames, so, tried these forms, they are know for southern deer. Even though the small size they are sculpted to look like mature bucks. I was really pleased.
    I will post some pic's when they are done.

Attached Files:

2. Mason

Mason Active Member

Re: Just mounted a couple on Joe Combs...not bad

We'ved used a good many Joe Coombs forms. Really liked em.
    Lookin forward to seein your pics

3. nibjones

nibjones Join your States Taxidermy Assoc.

I really like the look and fit of the Coombs forms

4. Re: Just mounted a couple on Joe Combs...not bad

I've used Coombs forms for the past 20 yrs for 80% of the deer heads I do
    But a lot of them don't work well with our deer here, our deer tend to have big heads with a roman noses, clay fixes that.

5. zubba

zubba Active Member

I too really like Coombs forms. I wish I could justify paying the shipping costs for them, but I can't when both Matuska & Revolution are a couple hours away and just as good (if not better) forms. I agree about the mature/immature look.

6. dhart

dhart Active Member

Oh, I hear you Kurt, I wish they could do Spee Dee like Revolution, Matuska and McKenzie.

7. michaelf

michaelf New Member

Thats about all I use. Good forms and good people to deal with.

8. BigER

BigER New Member

Is the there another Joe combs website because the one that I'm Googling is not working, that there is a broken link or something?

9. nibjones

nibjones Join your States Taxidermy Assoc.

http://new.joecoombs.com/

10. dhart

dhart Active Member

Here are some more pic's, nice forms to work on.

Attached Files:

11. 7-Point

7-Point Active Member

nice looking deer and mounts

12. sportsman126

sportsman126 New Member

wow talk about an ear ache, nice work.

13. dhart

dhart Active Member

That ear was a challenge...heck of bite out of it.

14. livbucks

livbucks Well-Known Member

Looks like he took a slug to the ear.

15. dljhunt

dljhunt New Member

Good looking mounts. I like Coombs forms also but Mckenzies is only a hour and twenty minutes away so shipping cost is a big factor.

16. dplais7124

dplais7124 Active Member

I love Coombs forms. I probably mount 80% or more of my deer on them. Best part is his warehouse is only a 10 minute drive from my house.

17. You guys talk about shipping I just recieved my 1st order from Matuska it was a deer form, antler plaque form with leather and the shipping was $32.00 came in a box big enough to put a moose form in. I was not impressed with the packaging and the price at all.

18. dhart

dhart Active Member

Being that close would be heaven. I am about an hour from the McKenzie hub in Beloit. Combs would be better if we could get Spee Dee delivery, UPS is killing me.

19. dhart

dhart Active Member

Was it UPS? I can get things Spee Dee from Matuska, that is a third of what UPS is.

20. Im pretty sure it was UPS, but if they would have used a smaller box it would have saved some too. No lie there was 14" from the top of the WT form to the top of the box. When I got it I seriously thought it was the wrong form judging by the size of the box.