1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

California Competition :) - March 18 - 20

Discussion in 'The Taxidermy Industry' started by Wolfie101, Feb 26, 2011.

1. Wolfie101

Wolfie101 New Member

Is anyone going? How was the turnout last year? This will be my first competition and I'm excited to go and check out some of the seminars.

2. socalmountainman

socalmountainman Northwestern School of Taxidermy - Class of '73

Wolfie, I would be interested in attending the CA competition. Are yo a member of CAT?

3. Wolfie101

Wolfie101 New Member

Nope. I will be when I attend though, since I'll be entering a mount. The state challenge for lifesize mammals is the bobcat and gameheads are mountain goat this year, so it should be pretty neat!

4. RoyalOaksRanch

RoyalOaksRanch Royal Oaks Taxidermy- When Quality Counts...

The lifesize mammal challenge is a COYOTE not a bobcat

California Challenge:
    Birds: Goldeneye
    Fish & Reptiles: Shark
    Gameheads: Mountain Goat
    Lifesize Mammals: Coyote

http://www.caltaxidermy.net/show.html

5. Wolfie101

Wolfie101 New Member

Shoot... I could have sworn the website said bobcat!
    Oh well. Coyotes are pretty cool, too. :)

6. socalmountainman

Wolfie, mailed my membership dues last Friday and made my hotel reservation today. I don't have anything to show for competition as I have been out of the business for quite awhile. I will be attending seminars and hope to meet and re-meet other taxidermists at the convention. Will be driving up the I-5.

7. Judysan

Judysan The Roadkill Queen

I would bring something to enter, if at all possible. The critiques are priceless. I'll be coming. It's my big deal for the year. I always come away inspired.

The turn out last year was good, as I remember, plus a lot more 'public' interest at the new venue (Sacramento rather than Redding)

8. elkevo

elkevo Tailgate Bucks

Sacramento is much better than Redding where I live now for sure. Redding is still not a place to get the crowds of interest here like in Sacramanto. You need exposure like with Sacramento area.

9. Wolfie101

Wolfie101 New Member

This is only the second year in Sacramento, right? Is it a pretty big turnout?

10. Judysan

Judysan The Roadkill Queen

I think it's a good turn out, but I don't go to other shows much, so I don't have much perspective!

11. socalmountainman

Where do I mail the registration fee? Do I send it to Mike Pogue in Weott, CA? The registration form doesn't show any contact info. The email at the website ([email protected]) kicks back "maeler-demon". I tried emailing Mark Diaz to both emails listed on the forum but, no response yet. I will try calling the phone number next. Joe

12. huntinaldy

huntinaldy New Member

Joe, all your registration can be taken care of at the door on friday if you haven't found the contact info yet. Good luck. Steve

13. Smeja

Smeja New Member

I might show up just to see if that faug arron manley is there...

14. socalmountainman

Thank you Huntinaldy, spoke to Mark Dias this morning by phone. He told me the same thing. Looking forward to meeting all of you. Joe

15. PWS

PWS Active Member

Oops... I misspelled the email address on the forward for that account! D'oh!! I fixed it, but [email protected] should work fine, I email him all the time.

Thanks for posting the info & link Rae!

I believe we had 110 competitors & 170+ pieces last year. We had our highest turnout from the public last year (rough count was 500+)

16. socalmountainman

I'm packing my bag and looking forward to meeting some California Taxidermists this weekend. Should be their by noon Friday if the rain doesn't slow me down too much. Joe

17. Wolfie101

Wolfie101 New Member

Packing over here as well, I'm only a couple hours out from Sacramento. Should be a lot of fun.

18. socalmountainman

The California Competition was a great time! It was really nice meeting so many of you. Some I didn't get to meet as we are only known here on this forum by our handles. Wolfie, if you were there, I honestly don't know if I met you or not. The seminars were fantastic, I learned a lot. I received many invitations to visit your shops and I'm glad to have added so many new friends. We will stay in touch. Joe

19. I would like to Thank everyone who had the opportunity to attend. I enjoyed meeting new folks as well as visiting those returning.
    If I did not get a chance to visit with you my apologies, yet things are pretty busy for me during this event.
    But; Thank You All very much.
    Mark

20. Pictures ???