1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

How to kill something quick and painlessly

Discussion in 'Beginners' started by Ginger2000, Feb 27, 2011.

1. Long story short - http://nukawin.deviantart.com/journal/38763701/ (link has story of what I encountered today, and hence this question)

I don't like to kill things, but if it is suffering beyond saving I'll want to end the pain (my dad calls it Mercy-Killing). I'm currently emotionally torn by this case, knowing that I could have ended the poor birds suffering and yet I didn't. :'(

I know I work around dead animals all the time, but, I can't watch them die.

Anyways, in the event I encounter another situation (and I seriously hope I don't, ever again) - How would I kill an animal fast without enducing more pain? :( (bear in mind I don't own a gun, or have any access to anything that could kill fast)

2. Andrew L.

Andrew L. Member

.22 bullet through the head is fast and no pain. You should get a cheap .22 rifle.

3. Brian

Brian Active Member

for a bird. big rock,ring its neck, squeeze the life out of it.put it under your knee and put all your weight on it. dont call me crazy but i kill all myb wounded ducks like the duck commander does.i bite there skull.

4. Chinbeard

Chinbeard New Member

Like when your dove huntin and its not quite dead- hold its neck between your middle and ring finger tight and really "hard and fast" swing it up and whipp it down . Its pretty cool. Thats how i do it. If the bird lands on the ground and your holding the head you have succeeded. Super fast and they don't even know it!

Thats awesome :) I dont know about stickin its head in my mouth though. That would ruin my dip!

5. Chris H

Chris H New Member

Ive never died but I believe death is a painfull experience regardless of the method, no one that's ever died lived to say any different..

6. Sage

Sage New Member

It's kind of ironic.... I loathe not being around when an animal dies. I want to be there to help them, not just soothe them after they're gone. To end something's life directly- honestly, I don't know if I can do it, but if I have no choice and it's the compassionate way out, I'll accept the task at hand and do it. :|

Honestly, I'll probably be laughed at here for this one, but I thought sleeping gas would be a good idea- putting an animal to sleep then killing it via neck twist or something.

7. Gun laws here are strict so I wouldn't be allowed one. And if I did get one my dad would be using it to shoot cats. :|

It would have been easier if the vets had been opened on a Sunday, but its bs that they're not.

I know with the injuries this pigeon sustained there was hardly any hope, the skin on its back was torn off and its crop/chest was busted open, how it was even still alive after a hit is beyond me. Tho I really hope its dead now.

Sorry for the sob-post guys, but I really wanted to find out how to go about ending a suffering animals life quick incase I encounter this again (and I don't want to)

8. not sure what im doin wrong every time i do it they bleed like a stuck pig

9. Furrtiv

Furrtiv New Member

Ginger, you could always do what I've occasionally had to do, which is to simply put the bird in a cardboard box (using a towel dropped over it or just putting the box over it and gently tipping the box to one side, so the bird slides into it), then close it but leave plenty of ventilation, and put it in a quiet room, like your cellar or garage. Provide some water, and warmth.
    If the bird's still alive the following day, when the vets are open, take it in to be dealt with; if it's died in the night, simply dispose of the carcase safely. I know it's not quick and painless, but it works for me and the bird has some small comfort in which to either recover or die.
    The other option is a bit bloodier, but my patrner had to kill a pigeon once that was in a very bad way, so he used his machete to chop its head off. Messy, but very quick and worked perfectly. If you have such a tool, that might be the answer, although bring the bird to the machete (i.e. take it home somehow) - don't carry around a large blade in public, of course!