1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

after rehydrating

Discussion in 'Tanning' started by trbruning, Feb 27, 2011.

1. hi, im rehydrating a batch of air dried skins using enzol b and 1/4 lb salt per gallon solution. ive read on here that some people like to sweat the skins after saoking, what does this mean and is it necassary?

2. bearrug48

bearrug48 Active Member

I hope you have better luck than I have had with air dried skins,I cant seem to get them soft.

3. muscle20

muscle20 New Member

After rehydrating fully limp and supple step to the next step, scouring and degreasing, then the pickling, In my opinion and experience it it not a good idea, to sweat the raw skins, meaning put them in bags and put them in a cooler to take on the moisture, its ok for skins that are already dressed for a short period, but raw skins can be rehydrated completely in the hydrating bath then processed, in other words you do not want to subject skins to moisture longer than absolutely necessary to prevent bacteria action,hair slippage,epidermis specially raw skins. Leave them in the hydrating bath if you have to up to 24 hours, older air dried skins one year and older will not hydrate well, as well the skins that contain a lot of fat and grease,grease burnt skins, fatty acids will work on the skin making them useless.

4. thanks for the advice, i mixed up the bath yesterday and within a few hours the smaller skins like muskrat and mink were like brand new. the raccoon and beaver were starting to work well but the have been dried for over a year and then stored in the freezer during the summer to keep dermestids out. checked them this morning and they have enough pliability to do what i need with them.