1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

dan rihnehart school?good training ?

Discussion in 'Training' started by paulb, Mar 21, 2007.

1. Jonh C is right-one on one is best --- been there --

2. Pepperbd

Pepperbd New Member

I took this course and learned that I needed to throw out 90 percent of what he taught us. I was in a class of eight, and I did not have the feel of good training. I think that watching a video, albeit a long one, would have been almost as good, and a hell of alot cheaper. I would suggest one on one for sure. Its probably the same amount of money and you will get ALOT more out of it. I enjoyed the class but think that I could have done much better. For instance if you went to a one on one with someone who does comp work you will learn that you should not spray down your form with form prep and then put sawdust all over the form for the hide paste to attach to. Dan taught us to do it this way with sawdust ( that you could buy from his catalog for only fifteen dollars a bag! ) and for prep (also in stock in his store!). You will not learn to set eyes because he believes that preset eyes ( Forms that he has molds for and sells) are just as good. In this class you will not learn to do any finish painting. You will get about thirty minutes of explanation on painting with a short demonstration, and your then out the door. He passes out literature on his pressure tanners and all through the course praises his tanners up and down, not even giving a mention to other processes. You will buy a cape that is already skinned, so you will not learn skinning techniques, he doesn't explain tube cuts, anything about cartilage removal, proper ear placement, never a word on reference pictures or ear butts. He will teach you to leave nothing around the eyes to tuck, and to rely on epoxy to fix it.
    That all being said I had a good time while I was there and it gave me the push to dig deeper into taxidermy. I guess that what I am trying to say is there is MUCH MUCH MUCH MUCH MUCH better classes out there so look around. Dont be afraid to ask your local taxidermists if you can watch, help out, etc. Join your your taxidermy association and get some leads there. Above all remember that a school or one on one training will only take you the first step, and that its up to you to determine which parts of the training you want to improve on, change, or put into practice. Good luck and have fun.

3. whitetail94

whitetail94 New Member

I'll second Big John. I took his three day course and he make make sure that you understand what you are doing and why. I had relatively no experience at this but I came home confident that I could do what I had learned with him. I would do one on one training.

4. sawtooth taxi

sawtooth taxi New Member

Come on MK....You know we had a good time. LOL. Gotta love Tom and Enid. The disorginazation, conflicts between teachers, the secrets of the back room, uneven pupils.... I was happy when I left the school because I met some really good people and the " Go get em', youre a money making taxidermist" speech. When I got home and learned about this web site I found out how little I knew. I think it was Uncle George that knocked my cockiness down and got me to realize I didn't know sh*t. In a really good way. I wish I would have saved the $5000 and done a little more research on training. I have learned more from reading posts here than I did there.

5. you are all rigth--Dan is a great guy--but you don't get the all you want -it is limited on some of it-yes I enjoyed the class very much--but ,pay to learn it all and didn't--the more you learn there, you come home and find out you did not learn a darn thing-but it is all up to you to keep learning--I will say it again Dan is a world class taxidermys-I will never give up learning to be a taxidermys--just don't quit your day job

6. mk

mk -30 below

IL
    lol, ok todd you got me there. i guess i learned what not to do, so i guess it wasnt that much of a waste of time. lol

7. HOLMES

HOLMES Active Member

8. Consider ALL other Private & Personal - one on ONE courses available to YOU ! Flexability is also a VERY important consideration !

GOOD LUCK ....................( www.larrystaxidermy.com ) N.Y.