1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Epoxy for Weathered Antlers

Discussion in 'Deer and Gameheads' started by Shedfreak435, Mar 1, 2011.

1. Shedfreak435

Shedfreak435 New Member

I've fixed quite a few Weathered, Cracked, and Chalk antlers but haven't found anything that I think works great. I've used house paint before and it works alright but over time the paint chipps off the antler leaving the weathered antler exposed again like it had never been repaired. I've heard of people using some kind of resin to put on the antlers but i'm not sure what the resin is called, does anyone know what I'm talking about? I believe Eric Carter uses it. I like the sculpt epoxy idea to fill in the cracks but the times I have used it (Fixit Sculpt) it seems to be to thick for filling in the cracks. I've been looking into trying some Magic Smooth or Fixit paste but have never seen or used these products. Can someone that has used one or both of these products give me a little insight about them and how they are to work with and would one of them work for feeling in cracks and chalky antlers?

Thanks

2. j.sonnenfelt

j.sonnenfelt New Member

Depending on the severity of the cracks. I have used apoxie sculpt. Just use a little bit and use your finger to smooth. Wetting your finger helps alot or I believe they sell a solution to use. A friend of mine told me to try using really fine hardwood saw dust mixed in and it helps it to take the stain better. Only thing is if the antler is real chalky stain will just turn it brown.

3. Shedfreak435

Shedfreak435 New Member

I've used the sculpt epoxy before and in some cases it worked alright but in my opinion it was to thick. I heard that the magic smooth and fixit, apoxie paste had a consistency of peanut butter or Vaseline so I figured that it might work for what I'm doing because it could be smoothed out thinner consistently throughout instead of thin on the edges and thicker in the middle like I've found in the sculpt. But I don't know for sure because I've never used these products before.

4. dhart

dhart Active Member

After you have put a thin layer of Epoxy sculpt on the area, taking alcohol and keep rubbing it on it until it smooths it out, then wipe off excess.