1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

mule deer capê

Discussion in 'Deer and Gameheads' started by Bowman, Mar 2, 2011.

1. Bowman

Bowman New Member

I posted this in tanning...thought someone over here might have answer too....I have a mule deer I recently mounted. The customer commented that the neck looked way small. Looking at pics he may be right. I know he brought the deer to me apx 4 days after he shot it without ever putting it in the freezer. Not sure why it didn't slip. Anyway, could this be a cause of shrinking? Or, is it something I've done? I use Lutan as I always have. The other two whitetails I did for him in the same group came out just as they expected...all tanned at the same time.

2. Kyle Lakey

Kyle Lakey Active Member

Did you back brush the hair well? Mule deer don't have that big of necks but the hair puffs up to make them look alot bigger.

3. Bowman

Bowman New Member

Yeah, you may be right. I put it on an 18 inch form...but brushed it back earlier...looks bigger. It wasn't the biggest to begin with, but definitely looked bigger in picture...thanks.

4. Michelle_Nelson

Michelle_Nelson Bring on the Bears!

Are you serious? Guess I need to remeasure that 27" MD Cape i got in this season.

How many Mule Deer have you mounted?

6. Kyle Lakey

Kyle Lakey Active Member

I've never mounted a mulie shot during the rut since most are hunted before the rut so all that I have mounted have been 17-21" B necks (most of them 18-19"). Yes they can get big necks but for the most part they are just average sized ones that are harvested. My clients all have tended to harvest them from september to late october so no I haven't seen any big necks like a 27 that you talk of. And I highly doubt bowman is talking about a mulie that was shot during peak rut. Mulie necks are decieving. They look big on the body but they have alot of hair. If they are so big then why are 80% of the forms in the mckenzie catelog 14-23" with an average neck size around 18-19" compaired to whitetails that 80% range about 16-24" and an average of about 20-21". I may have made my statement in the wrong context by saying they don't have that big of neck but I meant on average and for the most part of what hunters harvest and have mounted they aren't all that big of necks but they look a heck of a lot bigger when mounted and the hair is set right. Thats all I meant. I'm always suprised by how small the neck measurement it when I cape a mulie. I'm so use to doing deer I can pretty much guess the neck size before I skin it but then I'll do a mulie and be totally wrong and guess it about 2 inches bigger than the measurment actually is cuz they look so much bigger on the the carcass than they actually measure up to be.

7. RoyalOaksRanch

RoyalOaksRanch Royal Oaks Taxidermy- When Quality Counts...

LOL Seriously I mount nothing but muleys and blacktail DOnt see whitetails around my parts...

Mule deer arent dinky by a stretch..

8. Michelle_Nelson

Your just jealous you don't have a 27" MD cape in your freezer. ;D When I get it back from the Tannery I'll let you know so you can come over and double check my measurment. ;)

9. Bowman

Bowman New Member

Well, I too have mounted a few big ones and the whitetails I got in were in rut. This md was out of NE and was not a large one to begin with. I'm just wondering ifthe several days in the back of the truck was the culprit. I'm not beyond messing up but I'm not sure if I can take a 24" neck down to 18" all by my little self...lol. So, what do you think about that part???? Maybe that's the prob? Or just rehydrate, put an intertube in it, remeasure and go from there? If its my fault I need to fix it. If its his I'm not as concerned.

10. huntnut78

huntnut78 Member

Did you take your measurements for your form off of the meat or off of the skinned, stretched cape? Was the buck ever hung by his antlers? Reason I ask is i have seen where a buck is hung by his head and gets a four-foot long giraffe neck. The measurement was then taken off the meat, which would not be accurate at all. But you would notice that problem in most cases when you went to put the skin on the form and had way too much slack (thats if everyting was in the right place and the neck wasn't pulled past the brisket).

11. Bowman

Bowman New Member

I didn't take meat measurement. I took it after it was tanned. Don't know if it was hung or not. I can tell you that there wasn't any slack skin on the form and the brisket lined right up. I'd swear I got capes mixed up but it was the only mulie I took in this year. Just weird.

12. Michelle_Nelson

I doubt that the customer leaving it out that long had any affect on the size of the cape after tanning.

Pictures can be decieving. Some poses (in the field) make the neck look larger than it really is. Do you have a picture of this deer?

13. mite be acid swell or not shaved down enough ,I have 2 that came in under the jaw 29 and 31 inches now this is big time stinkin rut
    may have to shave more and neutralize more....:)

14. boarhunter67

boarhunter67 Well-Known Member

Did you use a reverse cape snake? I've heard those can change a neck by 9 inches or more. LOL.

15. rocco

rocco New Member

I just KNEW the cape snake was gonna come up...lololol