1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

McKenzies new whitetail ears and pre- sculptured butts

Discussion in 'Deer and Gameheads' started by stav1960, Mar 4, 2011.

1. stav1960

stav1960 Member

Has anyone tried the new earliners and pre-sculptured butts from McKenzie ?
    This will be my first time trying these earliners since I normaly use the Natra-Look liners and was wondering
    if anyone could give me some pointers on positioning on the form and the way to lock the liner to the ear butt
    and to the form. I'm using these liners on a Joe Meder form and theres really no indication on the form like on
    the McKenzie forms for placement. Any help would be greatly appreceiated.

2. squid

squid hunt hard or go home

i have used the liners and i like them. as for the the form i think that most forms have a little circle/divot were the ear canel goes, lake sure that is lined up and make sure that the ear base is lined up rite and a little glue and the clay to smoth out the transition and thats all you should need. hope i made sence here, wish you the best

3. Could you show a picture Squid,I am a beginner and really want to get placement right also.
    Thanks

4. squid

squid hunt hard or go home

sorry dont have any pictures, and if i did i dont know how to get stuff from my camera to the computer, i am very computer illiterate.

5. Mr.T

Mr.T Active Member

I found that all of those pre fab ear butts very seldom match to any form, there is always a need for a shim, sculpt-all or clay filler between the plastic butt and form.

6. dhart

dhart Active Member

I have seen a few done at another Taxidermist shop, he likes them. I think I am going to give them a shot.

7. Bowman

Bowman New Member

I always have problems wiTh pre sculpted ear butts. They never line up like I want. I tried some this past week and had to cut them off and replace with clay as I normally do.

8. seanpurc

seanpurc New Member

I have used the ones from Ohio taxidermy supply. They r great. Just used first mckenzie ones yesterday. Not as much detail on the mckenzie but will use again

9. Dave H

Dave H New Member

ohio
    The orginals are from Ohio taxidermy supply, I Buy as much as i can from the little guys. the ear butts thye make fit their forms very well give them a try.

10. Bill Yox

Bill Yox Well-Known Member

I like them too. I havent had much trouble with placement, I dont look on the form for lines, just check some animal pics and use that. If all else fails, just put it in the skin, align everything else, and see where the skin suggests it goes...

11. whitetail94

whitetail94 New Member

I mounted this buck using the new McKenzie liners and half back bases. I liked them and will be using them on more mounts.

http://www.taxidermy.net/forum/index.php/topic,254625.0.html

Michael L

12. I use a small roll of clay between the butts and the form it seems to allow me to make a pretty good transition from the form to the butts. You can use a little more or a little less to change the ear position. I don't use an adhesive from earbutt to liner and never had a problem. As far as a measurement, or placement, in a ears back position, from the front corner of the eye to the ear notch it's about 5 to 5 1/4' works for me. I haven't used them on a Meder form, but I can't see why it'd make much difference. I like them, If you flesh out the nodules inside the ear they seem to fit much better than the ones from OTS, but I use them both.
    Good luck Jim