1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Electric Staplers

Discussion in 'Beginners' started by mdtreestand, Mar 4, 2011.

1. mdtreestand

mdtreestand New Member

Has anyone had experience with electric staplers. I do not have the extra room for a air compressor and was wondering if any electric staplers on the market are good for connecting the capes to the backboard. If so any brand recomendations? thanks

2. jorgy

jorgy Member

They rust and break

3. George

George The older I get, the better I was.

I wouldn't think of using anything else. I have a DuoFast that I've had almost 20 years. The ONLY problem I ever had with it was when I dropped it on the floor and snapped the contact head off. I bought another and sent my broke one in to be fixed. Two weeks later, it's back, the "new" one is in the box waiting to be a spare, and the old one is still nailing buffalo, zebra, whitetails and anything else fuzzy along with some upholstery work and some replacement trim on screen windows. I use the 1/4 inch crown x 9/16 staple and have YET to find a staple not fully bedded in a backboard or a sofa frame. Air staplers are like a ball and chain - you always have to have that freakin air compressor close by and it HAS to be set at 100+ psi to work. With my DuoFast, all I need is a 110 AC outlet. I do HAVE an air stapler but the only time I'd ever use it was if I lost power and needed to set half a dozen staples (I figure more than that, my 40 gallon tank would be too low to do me any good anyway.)

4. muscle20

muscle20 New Member

I probably would not be able to count as high as the number of staples I have put in the back boards with a electric stapler, besides other jobs base work, upholstery of antler mounts and whatever.

5. I have been buying the $25 ones from the hardware store. They break all the time. I am on about my 4th one. I bought an air stapler last week. I may have to check out a Duofast though.

Bruce

6. RTF

RTF Active Member

Been using one I bought from Wal-Mart years ago and have never looked backed. All my capes are stapled with an electric stapler.

7. Mr.T

Mr.T Active Member

I have all three, Electric, air, and manual. Use them all for different applications.

8. George

Disclaimer here. Bruce's post reminded me quickly. If you're thinking of buying one of the "hardward store" models, you're going to be disappointed. They are simply POS. The DuoFast is a professional tool and is going to cost 10 times what an Ace hardware store model will. I like the quarter inch crown because you can work into tighter places (especially antler caps) than those big wide crowned ceiling tile staplers.

9. mdtreestand

mdtreestand New Member

Thanks for the info. I will be checking out the DuoFast. I have learned many times if you buy cheap you just end up buying again and the aggravation that goes with the problems make it that much worse.

10. Bowman

Bowman New Member

Definitely stay away from the $30 staplers. They will not sink the staples....or at least that has been my experience. In this instance, the more you pay probably the better...

11. Mr.T

Mr.T Active Member

The new Arrow electric staplers are junk, the older models are great, find them on ebay, and Arrow will fix them for free, no questions asked.

12. Bowman

Bowman New Member

I think the newer arrows are what I've had. One lasted two days. The other barely sinks in a fish body.

13. Leapin

Leapin Member

Can you set the power that the electric stapler has? For example: soft wood, hard wood, heavy capes, metal, plastic, etc..

14. Old Fart

Old Fart Active Member

I have all three, electric, air, and manual. I don't even know where the electric is stored. I stopped using it years ago. Most of what I do is done with the air stapler. Just my preference

15. George

Old Fart, do you remember when I got chastised about not using an Iwata double action???? Well, as they say, getting even is a bitch. The "old" electric you used was likely run on DC power. You buy a quality professional upholsters ELECTRIC gun and you'll never pull that hose around again.

I recommend the DuoFast ENC 5418 "Carpet Tacker" model. It's about $100 cheaper if you buy it on the internet. The best staples are the carpet staples that are pointed chisel-point and spread out once the imbed (to hold carpet to the floor better). McKenzie carries one model but it's $266 and the staples they sell are NOT carpet staples.

16. Old Fart

Old Fart Active Member

George, I just never liked it. For the same reason, I suppose, that ALL my drills are cordless. My compressor is very centrally located in my shop so it's very convenient to use the air stapler. It wasn't a cheapie, but when I picked up the air staple I just found that much more to my liking.

17. I'm a air stapler guy myself. I also use the 1/2 crown they are not so apt to punch thru the hide as the 1/4"(I shave my capes very thin). I used the 1/4 inch for years and years but I now prefer the 1/2" air operated. I also use manual and electric staplers for other things.

18. Curt

Curt Family Life member of the NTA

X2 Mr.T on both posts.