1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Hair Slip after tanning deer hide

Discussion in 'Tanning' started by txcoon, Mar 5, 2011.

1. txcoon

txcoon Facta, non verba

Texas
    I'm new and apologize if wrong place to post. It has always bothered me when hunting and fellow hunters throw away the hide, so I decided to make a use out of them. I am just starting and trying various tanning methods (ready made tanning formula, bark tanning, brain tanning, etc to determine the best process. Currently I have tanned 2 hides with Deer Hunters Tanning formula. I followed the instructions and both hides have had hair slip. I mean clumps just fall off taking the top dermis layer. if I was trying to do hair off, this would be perfect but I wanted hair on. The first hide had a large area down the back and across the hips so I thought maybe it was wear I had hung it to drain on a saw horse. So I'm going to figure out a way to use the portions with hair on and hair off the first hide. The second hide was going great and I was in the process of the final stretching to soften as it dried after tanning and there are two small 50 cent piece sized areas where the hair is falling off as I stretch. The pieces would be perfect for a fly fishing lure. I have gone over everything I did and the only thing I can figure out is when I put the tanning solution on the 2nd hide, I did it in my work shop and didn't think about the temperature being 47 degrees since I wasn't cold. I had finished applying the tanning formula and folded the hide flesh to flesh to process. That was when I realized it was that cool and brought into the house to finish the processing time. Could it be because the temp was below 70 degrees? Both hides were deer we harvested, we immediately hung, skinned, gutted, and quartered the deer and put one hide in a walk-in freezer and the other in an ice chest (not a lot of amenities at that hunt) then into a freezer 2 days later. Hides were cleaned of meet, fat and salted, salt bath, washed with dish washing detergent to remove salt and grease, rinsed, drained and tanned with the tanning formula - all according to the directions. Any suggestions on why the hair is slipping/falling in little clumps. I can send pics. Thank you for any help. I've searched everywhere and haven't seen this particular problem before.

2. bill@hogheaven

[email protected] New Member

A very large percentage of the time when someone has slipping problems there is one common denominater. That being THEY WASHED IT IN DISH SOAP!!! Keep the dish soap for dishes & OUT of any tanning method.

3. txcoon

txcoon Facta, non verba

Texas
    Thanks for the info. The directions recommended that so I followed them. Is there anything that would work best (and is easy to get) to remove the salt and degrease? I'm experimenting with different processes and there is so much varying information out there. Thank you.

4. txcoon

txcoon Facta, non verba

Texas
    I'm sorry, one more question. Does the temperature affect how the tanning formula works? i.e. If I am working in my shed, and it is 45 degrees outside or 95 degrees, will that adversely affect how the tanning works on the hide? The shed is not temperature regulated. I have electiric for the lights but do not have heating or ac out there. I'm hoping to try some other tanning methods with varmints.

5. muscle20

muscle20 New Member

I did not see any mention of a acid pickle prior to your tanning agent, so you just applied your tanning agent to a raw skin, tanning agents work better and faster in a warm environment and solutions, but thats not your problem.

6. txcoon

txcoon Facta, non verba

Texas
    I read the instructions a number of times and checked to be sure I didn't miss where it said to pickle the skin since I had since so much discussion on pickling. Since it didn't include pickling I assumed there was something in their instructions and process that worked as a pickle. (I know-silly me-what assuming makes me.) I wasn't sure if the ambient temperature had anything to do with it, which was why I was asking this forum since yall have the experience I need. I appreciate this forum and the folks taking time to check it and answer. Thank you so much. The tanning instructions were as follows: remove all meat/fat; salt hide, leave salted/draining 24 hours, repeat with clean salt, scrape off; Immerse in salt bath 6-8 hours, rinse in clean water/drain; thin skin as much as possible; wash in warm water with liquid dish soap to remove salt and grease, hang to drain; warm hide tanning formula, apply even layer to flesh side, massage firmly into skin, fold flesh to flesh (12-16 hours); then open flesh side to the air, let dry slowly over 2-3 days. As it dries pull and stretch until completely dry and soft. I will not sure dish soap again, per the earlier response that said that was a common denominator he has observed. I had 2 bottles of the solution, so after experiencing the hair slip, I probably won't buy more to keep trying with and will just move on to another type of tanning product to try. Unfortunately, we only harvested 3 deer/hides this year. One of which was my son's doe so now I'm trying to figure out something to make him out of the hide since it has bare spots. He wanted to throw the hide on his bed but he may end up with mittens, wallet throw pillow, or a carry bag for his binocs and hunting gear. (He is 9). This tanning solution had good reviews and seemed simple enough but maybe the other reviewers wanted hair off so it worked well for them. The description on the product said it was for either hair on/hair off tanning. I had a learning lesson and will have to be creative to salvage something out of the skins. They did tan. A little stiff but I am still working them.

7. Rhino

Rhino Too many irons in the fire will put the fire out!

TXcoon, give me a call tomorrow, and I will work you through your issues. I dont sell to the general public, but I can point you in some better directions.