1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

question on sizing a cape

Discussion in 'Deer and Gameheads' started by torka, Mar 5, 2011.

1. torka

torka Member

I found a whitetail deer head at an antique shop that has a very large rack that is quite nice. The mount is worthless, totally falling apart. I am interested in buying it, cutting off the antlers and purchasing a cape and remounting. My question is how do I figure out what size cape do I purchase so the antlers (burr size and spaceing) will fit. Any help would greatly appreciated. Thanks

2. D.Price

D.Price Well-Known Member

Measure the one it is mounted on before you trash it.

3. I would just buy a cape snake with optional antler skin attachment. That way you can use any cape you want and make it as big as you see fit. Probably even 29"s

4. torka

torka Member

thanks for the replies. The head is VERY small from what I can see the skull was used with very little flesn rebuilt, the neck quite skinny and very short. lead flashing was used for ear liners. ears are all ripped open and the lower jaw skin is hanging. The horns look very oversized for the size of the finished head. May just find a fairly large northern cape and go from there. Been wanting to try a cape snake might be a good time to. Thanks again

5. I apologize, the cape snake comment was made in jest in reference to a recent post about stretching a cape 9 inches.

6. Quill

Quill New Member

You could ask someone if you need to, what they think the rack scores, if it is a 120 class whitetail it is very small, it it is a 160 class, it is getting pretty big, like a 22 inch neck. A taxidermist selling a cape should be able to help you judge the size of the cape needed, by the size of the antlers.

7. Mr.T

Mr.T Active Member

A 20 inch cape would be fine for starters, You might not want to spend the better money,, or maybe you will, but if this will be your first attempt, I wouldn't buy a big money cape just to practice on. You can remount that rack later down the road over and over.