1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Real Wood?

Discussion in 'Habitat and Exhibit' started by sportsman126, Mar 7, 2011.

1. sportsman126

sportsman126 New Member

When it comes to real wood i know you can use driftwood, but what about others such as tree bark and fresh wood? My question is is there a preservative or chemical you need to use to keep bugs off or to keep it like it is and i want to keep it original lookin, not glossy. Now i know dont get no rotted wood full of insects, but still wondering about my options, and i know i can mold and make my own. But for example in the future id like to do a pedestal mount of a buck on an actuall tree that he has rubbed, just the tree itself, no branches or leave that would inturn wither away.

2. roostinridge

roostinridge Active Member

Don't be in a rush--take your piece and let it dry thourgly---no moisture. Depending on the piece this can be a long process. Depends on the moisture content and what type of wood ou are using. I have lumber and pieces that are 6 months plus. Once it is completly moisture dry you will be good to go after just a thourgh cleaning and inspection.

3. sportsman126

sportsman126 New Member

thanks alot thats along the lines of what i figured just wanted to make sure.