1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

first deer!Critiques Please!

Discussion in 'Beginners' started by babowhunter, Mar 7, 2011.

1. babowhunter

babowhunter Man,I love this stuff!!

First deer!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG][/img]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG][/img]

2. babowhunter

I want add that is a maned deer cape that I got from Rick(fozzie) at Mill Creek Taxidermy that he gave out to beginners!Thanks Rick!

3. jtcjr

jtcjr Member

NC
    Get you some reference. Eyes are wrong shape, color patterns are all off ear butts are wrong, very poorly done finish work. Brisket is off
    Lip isn't tucked properly. Nose pad is off. poor repair on back of ear. Again get reference and you might want to buy a rick Carter WT deer a-z video. color blending is also rough , inner nose looks black and nose looks black, septum and nose on deer are not black. basically you still need to study all aspects of deer before you procede on next mount, Study some and them try to apply what you hve learned on next mount.

4. J Cook

J Cook Cook Taxidermy

X2 on the references, and use live reference pics. Also the antlers look like they are tipped too far back.

5. Mr.T

Mr.T Active Member

I will say that you look happy, and you should. Congratulations on getting through the job. One area that I see that I suspect that you did not do, was split the eye lids all of the way to the lashes? You have a hard rim all the way around the eyes, you can not form the skin to the correct shape with the lids unsplit. The eye skin is to far stretched out away from the eye, you need to push the skin towards the glass.

6. fozziebear

fozziebear Active Member

Well Steve ya got the first one out of the way and I can tell you that even as rough as it may be it still turned out better than my first !!!!! ;D Purty cool to mount your first one huh ;D Of coarse it has LOT'S of issues and it should being that you are teaching yourself. Just the fact that you posted it with you right next to it shows how proud you are of it and should be! With all this being true and nice I'm done blown roses up your arse ;D Do as stated above and get some reference (anything to start like outdoor magizines) and get the Rick Carter DVD ! After you get the basics down I would get some class's under your belt, like a YOXATHON!!!!Keep at it, dont give up!

7. sportsman126

sportsman126 New Member

Id also take more measurements before putting the hide on, in picture three it appears the left eye is higher, wider, and more forward than the right one. the left of on the deer that is. But as excited as you are on your first i am sure you are now just as excited to start your second because after doing that one and know knowing the falts you know you can get them right on the next one.

8. Richbo

Richbo 2nd place is the first loser!

Ease up on some of the epoxy around the eyes. If you get em split like Mr T said you should be able to tuck them and use very little if any epoxy. Also check some reference for the correct eye shape. Yours are almost round. The tear ducts need tucked and the brisket doesn't look centered. Other than that, good job.

9. StriperT

StriperT New Member

babow,

Your mount looks as good as you look proud!

Assuming you are are self taught as I was when i did my first deer. you did a Great job!
    But there's nothing like some hands on training by a pro.
    Although this sites and all of its members are a wealth of knowledge. its hard to apply all the good advice without the hands on experience.
    I myself needed to watch how it was done step by step. And i needed the pro to tell me when I was doing something right or wrong.
    If you get a chance. Go to a seminar or workshop. its well worth it.
    My advice to you is take all the above critique, print them out and hang it right next to your mount. It will be as valuable of a reference as live deer/correct reference pics
    And then start on your 2nd using all of that custom advice.
    Your mounts WILL get better!
    I wish my first turned out as good.

10. babowhunter

Thanks Rick i just ordered the Rick Carter DVD and i talked to Bill last weekend.(Still pondering it) I see the things that you guys are talking about and will definitely apply them to my next mount.I am pretty excited about this taxidermy stuff and i will keep at it and will not give up!

11. babowhunter

Stripper T ,yes i am self taught and i know what you mean by having hands on training and having someone with a few deer under their belt.
    I am already checking on this and i thought it was a great suggestion to post these critiques where i can see them as i am doing the next mount.Thanks to you and all the rest of the members that posted.

12. babowhunter

Ooops! Meant Stiper T!

13. babowhunter

Ooops again! I meant Striper T!

14. DEERXNG

DEERXNG Member

How in the world do you split eyelids and tuck them.
    I have never seen that done.

15. StriperT

StriperT New Member

LOL... I get that alot on the spelling.
    But it is Striper as in Striped Bass.. Not the dancer!

As far as splitting the the eye lids and lips.
    It helps to have a sharp scalpel or razor. Take it a little at a time and place your index finger of your opposite hand right on the edge of the fold.. You'll know when you've split it all the way, when the inside of the lip, the outside and the edge feel completely flat.
    Don't try to split the area your working on all at once. Work the entire lip all the way around an eight of an inch at a time otherwise you'll end up cutting through the edge or you'll end up with a lot of inconsistencies and or bumps. just take your time.
    These Youtube clips might help you understand what I'm talking about.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1rTHxlep_F0&playnext=1&list=PLF7AF428B5BE70EB0
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c7vCQLoIN58
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BVGdJHjkN-8
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i46-oq9ksaY
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Iv7q5Dlrf2o
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_1k3Jj-_rCE

16. babowhunter

Thanks for posting that,Stripper! LOL