1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

1st Bobcat, Please critique

Discussion in 'Lifesize Mammals' started by Fawn, Mar 10, 2011.

1. Fawn

Fawn New Member

I would appreciate any advise or critisims on this project. Thank you.

Attached Files:

2. FIELD2FOREVER

FIELD2FOREVER The more I learn, The more I don't Know!!

OK, I'll go first. Maybe some closer pictures. My first bobcat looks good from across the room, and he's terrible!!! Didn't have any reference photos, so I used the house cat...... whaddaya know, he looks like a housecat!!

3. Fawn

Fawn New Member

ok, sorry...try these pics. lol

Attached Files:

4. LordRusty

LordRusty If I agreed with you, we'd both be wrong.

Ohio
    You need to post larger images still, to get more reviews and critiques, but I'll try and help here. I've enlarged your images a bit, so let's see what we have.

First thing I see that I like ... nice shape to the feet and toes! Very full, apparently well shaped, and appear to be weight bearing ... even for a small cat.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Now for the main trouble spot ... the face. This is the thing that gets everyone on trouble. Accurate mannikins are great and all that, but the face still requires skill, know-how, and knowledge of the subject to create convincingly.

I see no knowledge of the subject here. You need to buy and USE good, clear references.

[​IMG]
    The ears are far too down the sides of the head. Bobcat, as most predatory mammals, have ears that seat more on top of the head. Especially when they are depicted in an alert pose.

Next the eyes ... incorrect eyelid shape ... the rear corners of the eyelids sit on a higher plane than the front corners.

The eyes are looking in two separate directions ... not good at all. The Bobcats left eye - right side of the image - is not only looking off to the outside of the head, it is also rolled up in the socket some, enough so that the white of the eye can be seen in the front corner. This cat is not looking off to one side ... the right eye is not tracking with it, so it is a serious mis-setting of the eye.

The pupil direction is not straight up and down as you have them ... they tip in a bit at the tops of the pupils.
    [​IMG]

See how the facial features radiate from the center-line of the nose? This is a good way to tell if your Cat's face is in line and symmetrical ... or as close to symmetrical as possible! Notice here the rear corners of the eyes on a higher level than the front corners as mentioned before.
    [​IMG][​IMG]

House cats are not real good substitutes for Bobcats in that they are so far removed from the North American Bobcat to be of any real use. The pupil tilt on Domestic Cats is a mere 5°, as opposed to the 10° tilt for the Bobcat.

The nose ... pull those papers out of that nose ... you don't know where those papers have been! Seriously ... that will only distort the shape of the nostrils. Also, it appears that the nose is very flat in its profile. You must make sure that all interior cartilage is pared away from the nose skin. Then you must put enough stiff clay under the nose skin and onto the nose area of the mannikin to allow you to correctly shape the nose. This is where reference photos are an absolute necessity!
    [​IMG]

Lastly, the ruff around the outer face, could be groomed up - "fluffed" - as well as extended further under the sides of the lower jaw. This has more to do with proper skin taxiing than anything else. From your image, it appears the facial skin could come forward then down a bit to accomplish this. It is also possible the head of this mannikin may be a bit too large for your particular Bobcat. You must learn to "make the mannikin fit the skin".

You are off to a good start. You need to use references, and STUDY your subjects before jumping in to mount them. You have to do your homework. ;) Homework never ends! If you are interested in buying some of the best reference photo sets, PM me, or contact me at [email protected]

Take care,
    John.

5. FIELD2FOREVER

FIELD2FOREVER The more I learn, The more I don't Know!!

Excellent reply John, Fawn I don't think I've seen a Critique on a mount that in depth..... maybe ever! If that doesn't tell you what you want to know nothing will. You are off to a great start tho, Save this post and study it for your next one. I think you'll see an enormous improvement.

6. Fawn

Fawn New Member

Wow, thank you for your help. I knew I was having trouble with the ears and have tried to correct as much of the rest as possible. Since it has been set to dry there is only so much I can fix now. I appreciate the information and will STUDY SMARTER on the next mount.

7. Fawn

Fawn New Member

Better?

Attached Files:

8. Fawn

Fawn New Member

one more time, still don't like the ears but they are no longer cooperating:(

Attached Files:

9. rnviper3

rnviper3 New Member

John,

Thats the way to critique. Tell what you see wrong, and how to make it right. Thanks for posting this.

10. Cole

Cole Amateur Taxidermist

Well done John.

11. juniper

juniper Active Member

Awesome info John

12. Nana

Nana New Member

Yes, this was a wonderful critique. I have only done a couple of bobcats and your critique helped with several items that have been giving me trouble. Thanks for taking the time to explain it in detail.

13. Fawn

Fawn New Member

When we know better we do better. Needless to say, I have more motivation than knowledge - your critique was extremely helpfull but I will still be ordering those reference books!

14. sportsman126

sportsman126 New Member

ok john because of that critique i am pm'ing you personally from now on for my citiques lol, na jk but i will request one from you. With a critique like that a second mount should be nearly flawless. You almost gave a bobcat mounting tutorial.

15. rnviper3

rnviper3 New Member

Yes you did, and it is very helpful. Don't stop giving those type of critiques john.