1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

protal

Discussion in 'Tanning' started by akmike, Mar 10, 2011.

1. akmike

akmike Member

I just got in a shipment from Africa and it is already tanned (much to my dislike) but it is work that has to be done .I emailed the tannery guy and he recommended to soak in water with protal .I'm not familiar with this stuff. any info on it would be helpfull and appreciated. he said it is tanned with lutan FN

mike

2. Bowman

Bowman New Member

Protal is a tanning oil. I think Van Dykes carried it.

3. I would suggest rehydrating the skins first. Then use a better oil than protal. I would use knoblochs tanning oil. Use a commercial relaxer and salt in the rehydration

4. akmike

akmike Member

thanks
    but I wonder why you would use a tanning oil in a soak up bath should'nt it already be oiled? i hope it is not one of those tans from hell!

5. It could very well be one of those tans from hell. Are the skins incredibly stiff? You might call your tannery and see if they can handle them for you.

6. akmike

akmike Member

they are a little stiff but have some flex in them shaved very thin. I gave a pull on ones leg and it streched ok . Allready looking into retan.
    thanks J brown for the reply

7. rehydrate them and see what gives?