1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Giant Snakehead Mount

Discussion in 'Fish Taxidermy' started by dbooth19, Mar 10, 2011.

1. dbooth19

dbooth19 New Member

I am working on a Giant Snakehead mount, needless to say I have never done this type of fish before. It has a pretty crazy color pattern. Any suggestions with this paint job?

2. akairman

akairman New Member

i'm also working on a personal project with one. i havn't found much in the way of paint schedules. i'll let you know what i come up with.

3. franchi612

franchi612 New Member

Spray the colors out on paper first, and write down as you go what works. Or be brave and spray the fish. but be prepared to strip it.

4. naturalcreati40

naturalcreati40 Active Member

OMG...finally some of us are starting to do this fish. I'm doing one too...and I agree finding the right colors is a pain. I've got plenty of ref mat off of Google images but my client doesn't have a pic of his fish. So he's found some pics that he says matches his but still the pics don't portray the real colors. Is it green, gray, black...what the heck? He says his was in the green family but the latest video he sent me it looks like a grayish black. I've started mine over several times..just primed it and antigued it again tonight....argh

5. rp

rp Member

Hi Guy's

Here are some pics I have, this is the only two colourations I have seen.
    The first ones are the ones with the green on the upper back.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

And these are my favourite ones
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

6. 7-Point

7-Point Active Member

The top fish are giant snakeheads, the ones in MD like the one you show sportsman126, is a Northern Snakehead. I've not seen a mount of any snakehead yet, but I'm sure they're out there. I'd like to see what you come up with.

7. sportsman126

sportsman126 New Member

k thanks for clearing that up lol i thought he just meant a big snakehead didnt know there was an actuall giant snakehead cause the ones i have caught are the same size as the pictures shown, but shoulda figured lol.

8. rp

rp Member

here are a few more pics
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

9. dbooth19

dbooth19 New Member

Thanks for the help guys...yeah ive printed the same pictures basically from google images, they all look fairly similar in pattern when the have the greenish-blue tint on the top. I guess im just gonna have to practice on other fish until I get it down. Oh yeah...and how about a form? Did you guys that are working on one just make your own? Im in the process of looking for some cheap carving blocks right now so I can put it together.

10. Here's giant snakehead sculpture patterned after the fish that was collected from the Rock River in Wisconsin a few years ago.
    They appear to be pretty variable in coloration (especially native vs aquarium release).
    The photo doesn't show the iridescence very well. The lateral stripe had kind of a violet shimmer.

Attached Files:

11. If anyone is interested I have a mold of a nice Northern snakehead.
    26" I believe
    I know blanks are hard to come by for the species.

Amazing pics of the Giant snakehead!

12. Josh:

Would you happen to have a photo of your northern snakehead mold/cast?
    It may work well for some of our bowfin vs snakehead angler education efforts.
    Thanks.

13. jake7719

jake7719 Well-Known Member

Cool looken fish.