1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Your Thoughts??

Discussion in 'Deer and Gameheads' started by FIELD2FOREVER, Mar 10, 2011.

1. FIELD2FOREVER

FIELD2FOREVER The more I learn, The more I don't Know!!

Just wondering if anyone has been using the Joe Meder Liquid Lens eyes, and if so how thy compare to a Tohickon Optech, Or a Van Dyke Natural Eye??

2. I've used several pair and prefer them over the optech. Never used the natural eye so no help there. The Meder Tohickon is just as good if not better. IMO

3. Ive used them all and gotta say the new meder eyes have a glossier look to them and clean up well. IMO

4. FIELD2FOREVER

I've got a really nice mulie to do, and The customer is very picky. I haven't used them yet, but they look incredible in the magizines. Thought the "Dark" version would work well with a mule deer. Thanks for the input guys!

5. kikkertinz

kikkertinz Glass half full

ive only used about 6 pair so far but i personally love the way they look...really nice depth to them

6. FIELD2FOREVER

That's what I get from the pictures too, much better depth than your normal eye. I think I'll go ahead and get a set for this mule deer, thanks again guys!

7. JerseyJays

JerseyJays Well-Known Member

fantastic look to them.. very wet looking, love them! cant wait for them to come in smaller sizes.. only available in 32mm..

8. be careful when you clean them, they scratch very easy on the edges. don't use a pick to get the apoxie off. If you get apoxie on the outer edge clean them off fairly quickly. I like the old medar eyes better JMO
    Jim

9. Agreed 100% mine had a couple chips out of the edge when I got them. The white part seems to scratch/chip very easily. The old tohickon seem to better quality

10. FIELD2FOREVER

Well, I got em. mounted him up last night, and wouldn't ya know it..... scratched the shit outta one eye just tucking the eye skin. They look great, but definitely scratch uber-easy. The scratch is down low in the white so I don't think it will be a problem, but holy cow!!!
    I just got a tip from another taxi to use liquid latex on the eye before mounting, to help keep it clean/make for easier clean up, and prevent this from happening. Anyone else use the liquid latex or any other Ideas on this?

11. huntnut78

huntnut78 Member

That would work, depending on how cloudy the latex dries it might make leveling your pupils a little trickier. I will wait to see if they can fix this issue before I try em.

12. antlerman

antlerman NTA Life Member #0118

I'm really struggling with some of you guys. Even some of you seasoned masters. Why would you walk away from a mount and leave apoxy sculpt on the eyes to dry hard? Secondly, do you just mount it up and walk away and allow the eye skin to shrink away from the eye so therefore you have to fill gaps with apoxy sculpt? A tightly placed skin should not require filler. Secondly, why not keep your eyes clean at all times from start to finish?

As for the wet look Meder eyes......I love them. But I guess I just don't mount or have the problems that you guys are talking about. I up sale them and customers love them too.

13. FIELD2FOREVER

Antlerman, maybe you can help me with this. Where I've been getting into trouble with scratching eyes, is after i paint. The last case above was just being careless with my tucking tool, and you can't fix stupid LOL. I'm using the Jonas Custom Latex based paints, applied with an airbrush. I have trouble getting the paint off the eyes without damaging the paint AROUND the eye. What do you use to clean the eye after painting.

Tim

14. antlerman

denatured alcohol and a q-tip

or

windex and a q-tip

Doesn't matter, they both have alcohol.

15. Paul B

Paul B Active Member

I use a Q-tip also and a tooth pic (wooden) to get in close to the lids. I use John Reinhart's eye cleaning liquid, dip tooth pic in and clean.

16. antlerman

there is way using a bristle cut short paint brush that you can do need tricks with, but that technique belongs to Bill Yox, so therefore it is not mine to share. But if every get the chance to attend one of his seminars, that's one trick worth going for.

17. FIELD2FOREVER

Thanks for the advise. A YOXATHON would be sweet. I think I need to sucker him into coming to Colorado for a Elk hunt, Then pick his brains on taxidermy!! What about right down where the lid meets the eye, toothpick as mentioned before??

18. antlerman

yep. that or a paint brush wooden handle cut with a pocket knife to a tapered flat edge (insert wink here). LOL

19. FIELD2FOREVER

I read ya red ranger ;) !! Thanks again. BTW that gator you did is friggen sweet, all's I can say is someday when I grow up. It's awesome!!

20. if you tip ur deer side ways so ur eye is vertical at the top and use a paint brush to clean the paint off the eye you wont scratch it nor will you ruin your paint job i use stright up lacquor thinner with a soft brush and then i go over the eye after with a q-tip soaked in windex never scratched an eye and have always gotten the paint off verry succesfully