1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

leopard scraps

Discussion in 'Lifesize Mammals' started by alan webfoot, Mar 11, 2011.

1. alan webfoot

alan webfoot New Member

I KNEW that I had them somewhere,almost 2 1/2 sqare feet of leopard .Years ago my old high school vice principal [retired] used to go to yard sales everywhere ,inColombus he came across a beaut'.This lady was selling her late husbands old trophy's .He had hunted back in the grandold heyday of safari's,India ,Africa,etc. He bought a tiger head ,sadly all that was left of a rug ,it was in bad shape, wooden teeth plaster interior ,also a ladies coat LEOPARD!!!The lining had been removed and sleeves cut or torn off so basically a vest.I ended up with the greater part of the ''vest''I made a sporran out of part of it.I can hear you cursing me now! I lost track of the rest of it until last week ,the 2 pieces I have total 2 1/2 square feet roughly,garment tanned stitching on backside is tight and its impossible to tell where the seam is.There is mostly middle of back hide .a little bit of the longer whiter belly hair,hair is in great shape has a sheen ,not brittle or faded,leather is stretchy and supple .I sent another taxidermist on this site the same description ,in case he might be interested in using it for repairing a badly damaged hide for mount or an old rug,NO REPLY BACK.So now is it legal to sell ,or gift or keep??? I was needing a very small patch a while back myself ,GOT IT!!So what's it worth ??

2. I'd love a piece if it's legit, and legal. . .

3. Bill Yox

Bill Yox Well-Known Member

I dont think it is legal. Its not illegal for you to ask your fish and game people in your state and let them know its a garment. I believe spotted cats are just that, as specimens or coats. Just be very careful, no use having honest people getting pinched for not knowing...I must say though thats just my opinion based on what Im familiar with, I am not the law you should contact.

4. alan webfoot

alan webfoot New Member

thanks Bill ,and I sure don't want to get anybody in hot water ,heck the guy that bought it and passed it on to me died 8 or 10 years ago!!

5. Light Rail Coyote

Light Rail Coyote Active Member

Do you happen to know how old the skin scrap is? If it's legal, I'd be interested in some too.

6. I'm definitely interested in keeping up with this thread till you know if it's legal or not. I'd love to have a piece to make a bracelet with. . . :)

7. redog76

redog76 New Member

wow i didnt know how lucky i was to be stuck with 2 LS leopards until now.....

8. Light Rail Coyote

Light Rail Coyote Active Member

If you want to get 'un-stuck' of one of those leopards (and if it's legal, of course!) I'd be interested in helping you out. ;)

9. Man, I'd love a piece, too, if it was legal.