1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

"Never know when you might need a tick!"

Discussion in 'The Taxidermy Industry' started by Tom D., Mar 12, 2011.

1. That was a line from Riddler's post back in January about the tick that went through two weeks in a pickle and crawled away! I'[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][/img]d like to have that line printed on a t shirt along with a picture of a big, fat, tick! LOL! Anyway,the dog and I went shed hunting last Friday. He found one, plus he brought me back a button buck skull and a bunch of other deer bones, and I found one and a little 8 pt. that was down to hide and bones. Yesterday, my wife was petting him and said he had a wart on top of his head. I ended up pulling 14 "warts" off him. I was suprised that there were any out this early. We still had a little snow in spots, however, it did get up to about 50 that day. Some days turkey hunting this same farm, there will be a steady stream of them crawling up my pants and jacket. That is mid April to early May, though. I just pull them off. A hemostat helps. Usually, a little piece of skin(mine or the dogs) comes off with them.There is a bump, kind of like a bad mosquito bite for a week or 10 days. They itch on me, and I suppose on him. I've tried the cover the tick with margerine, vaseline or fingernail polish removal method, and the touch them with something hot, but none of that stuff has ever worked for me. Now let's see. I thought I started out with 15 ticks on that plate.........

2. Blarrgh. I hate ticks. I've only had one, and that's enough. Haha, the only thing that turns me off from taxidermy. P':

3. SteveP

SteveP New Member

Frontline on the dog, 100% DEET on you. The Frontline works better, but it's not for humans. :-\

4. You are right , Steve. I usually start with the Frontline April 1st, but he ended up getting it a little early this year, just not early enough! Right about the bugspray with DEET, too. But it seems like they can always find a chink in my armor. And then there are those days I'm already in the woods when I realize i forgot to spray! LOL Do you folks in the southern part of the U.S. have them out all year?