1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

The Upholsterer's or Invisible Stitch ...

Discussion in 'Tutorials' started by LordRusty, Mar 12, 2011.

1. LordRusty

LordRusty If I agreed with you, we'd both be wrong.

Ohio
    The "trick" - if one can call it a trick - is to make sure the edge of the hide is shaved as thin as possible. That includes an inch or two inward from the edge of the incision. For their rather 'petite' size - when compared to other African Antelope - I have found the Impala has some really tough skin, and, that skin is rather thick and stiff for an animal of its size. Carefully taking that thickness down goes a long way to keeping the hair flat ... along with a rubber mallet and hair gel! ;)

Hope this helps,
    John.

2. Wolfwoman

Wolfwoman $90 for your fur made into trapper hat or mitts!

More pictures ;-)
    http://www.wikihow.com/Blind-Stitch

3. boarhunter67

boarhunter67 Well-Known Member

4. Thanks John,
    The next one will improve for sure!! :)

5. krusher167

krusher167 New Member

maybe u should have this thread moved to the tutorial section, thnx for posting it....

6. absmithtaxidermy

absmithtaxidermy New Member

7. jim tucker

jim tucker Active Member

IMO after you get the hang of it this is the EASIEST stitch to do, BUT before everyone goes off to use the "magic stitch" it needs to be said that the hidden stitch isn't a ticket for sloppy sewing. In fact if you don't take the time to make small "grabs" (no deeper than 1/4 inch in and 1/4 inch apart) this stitch will look WORSE than a baseball stitch.

It's also a great stitch for thin or dead hides. It gives you more POWER with less stress on the hide.

8. I always forget about this stitch.

9. Derrin

Derrin New Member

Tried this stitch today. Worked well. Thanks.

10. Ugly buck

Ugly buck New Member

have to give this a try tomorrow on an early season whitetail real short hair

11. MITCHELL4

MITCHELL4 New Member

I like this stitch. It's the only stitch that I have used. It took me a while to get the hang of it but now I can move rather quickly with really good results. when I first started a master at the AIT held a seminar at his and his wife's shop and that's the same stitch he uses and showed to us.

12. double shovel

double shovel SilverWillowTaxidermy

Just tried this stitch last night while sewing up a deer to see and you can see the big difference . This stitch definatly has a place in my shop. Thanks for sharing this

13. Bill Yox

Bill Yox Well-Known Member

I just saw this thread through a link on the african thread, and Im sorta surprised by some folks comment about this stitch. To me this is a standard, everyday stitch, one I use daily on any short haired animal and all my deer. I like how it butts the edges and doesnt overlap. Im also using a thin needle and fine thread, and keeping my stitch close to the very edge to ensure I dont get the width of the skin inside the stitch. I know this stitch as the PARALLEL STITCH. I think its the easiest stitch to keep lined up as you go, too.

14. Wolfwoman

Someone needs to do a video for me ;)

15. LordRusty

LordRusty If I agreed with you, we'd both be wrong.

Ohio
    I'm with you on this one, Bill. This is my everyday stitch for every mammal I mount. I like it, it's easy to do, it holds tight, and locks itself down. The best stitch I have ever found. ;)

16. Bill Yox

Bill Yox Well-Known Member

The intangibles like being able to easily hold the hair off to the side of the stitch with a free finger, being able to advance the stitch and draw them together one at a time after aligning the skin, for example, further sell this stitch in my opinion. If the stitch is started in the right angle, no thread will show either.

17. boarhunter67

boarhunter67 Well-Known Member

The way it looks to me you just go through side A, go back through side A, go over and through side B, go back through side B, instead of going back and forth each time, kind of like an S shaped stitch.

18. Wolfwoman

I may have to try it for closing up hats...maybe. LOL

19. Wayne Wynn

Wayne Wynn New Member

Check out this You Tube video, I believe this is the stitch in question. http://youtu.be/AK2UztYVXP0

20. Wolfwoman

THAT, was perfect, thank you!