1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

The Upholsterer's or Invisible Stitch ...

Discussion in 'Tutorials' started by LordRusty, Mar 12, 2011.

1. LordRusty

LordRusty If I agreed with you, we'd both be wrong.

Ohio
    This is a video I made, regarding the stitch I describe and use.
    Watch in HD for best image! ;)
    https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=10200281639623719&set=vb.1235367200&type=3&theater

2. noid

noid Member

marking

3. Nick7

Nick7 New Member

Thanks for making that video John!! I was wondering how you locked the stitch in and i'm glad you showed how you did it. What kind of thread were you using on that deer?
    Thanks again

4. LordRusty

Ohio
    I got the thread from Joe Coombs supply ... http://www.joecoombs.com/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=23_619

I like using this thread. It holds stitches without cutting the skin, does not shrink, and more importantly ... does not stretch! I prefer the brown. I have the 8-ounce thread in tan also, and use it for Deer cape repairs. I also prefer it for sewing closed my lifesize mammals. ;) Also, I always wax my thread ... even if it pre-waxed.

5. Joe Kish

Joe Kish Active Member

Texas
    John,

Good tutorial there. I've had luck with turning the entire cape inside out, then sewing it up 3/4th of the way to the head the same as you do with the hidden stitch. There's not a problem with catching hair that way. Then turn it right side out, slip it on the mannikin, then set the antlers. That way you only have to sew it down the "Y" and the remaining 1/4 of the neck. Has anyone tried this too?

6. BrookeSFD16

BrookeSFD16 Well-Known Member

Marking

7. LordRusty

Ohio
    Joe, that's the way I handle many of the African capes that come in already fully opened, especially the really short haired specimens ... also on Mule Deer and Pronghorn that come in opened flat.

One of the finishing touches on the seam - which is not in the video as it does not showing the complete sewing - is the use of a rawhide mallet to hammer the seam down even flatter than just sewing alone.

On short haired specimens such as Impala, Springbok, Steenbok, etc, I will use a length of large dowel, lay it along the seam, and hammer against it to flatten the seam. I'll then roll the dowel down the seam, sometimes going up and down the seam.

Lastly - after the mount is complete - I mist water over the hair and run my hands and a soft dog brush over the mount , then use plastic canvas held in place with T-Pins over the seam, and any repaired area.

After all is dried, I remove the T-Pins and plastic canvas, brush the mount down, go over with a damp towel, then a steam treatment, and finish facial details as usual.

Bing-bang-boom! ;)

8. Monette Taxidermy

Monette Taxidermy New Member

Mark

9. *

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

10. boarhunter67

boarhunter67 Well-Known Member

I have a question about the video. Do you actually fold the skin under like that? Wouldn't you be losing an inch of hide that way?

11. Marking

12. Artie mags

Artie mags New Member

John I have been using this stitch on all my mounts since you posted this.I must say I love it and it truly pulls it invisible!! Thanks

13. LordRusty

Ohio
    No more than the bunching skin taken up in an ordinary baseball stitch! ;) Plus, the hide stretches some, and once it's locked in, it is not going anywhere.

14. TaxiderMiss

TaxiderMiss New Member

Marking, good to know since I learned with the baseball stitch.

15. Marking

16. marking! thanks!

17. JimRollins

JimRollins New Member

marking, thanks

18. ice

ice Member

Alaska
    Mark

19. Thank you for sharing this information