1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Extra Alum?

Discussion in 'Tanning' started by Katie H, Mar 15, 2011.

1. Katie H

Katie H New Member

Last year I started tanning all my hides with EZ-Tan using Amy's directions. Before switching to that method, I used alum tan. I have a lot of alum left over and am wondering if I could make any use of it anymore, as I don't want it to go to waste? Or does anyone here do alum tanning who would want to buy it from me?

2. Frank E. Kotula

Frank E. Kotula master, judge, instructor

You can use it in your pickle for those iffy hides.

3. Katie H

Katie H New Member

oh really? How do you do that? Do you add it to the normal safety acid pickle? How much do you use per gallon?

4. A friend of mine says it also makes shaving alot easier if you add some alum to the pickle.

5. Katie H

Katie H New Member

Great! I have about 9 pounds of it, and I will keep it and use it for that then. Thank you, Katie
    PS. Should I use it in all the pickling that I do, or just when doing thicker hides, or just when doing thinner hides?

6. Bruce_Rittel

Bruce_Rittel Consultant Services

It's good to wash the slime off of Fish skins too! Just add 2 handfuls (about 8 ozs. - by weight) to every 1 gallon of Water used in your deepsink! It removes the slime and holds down the scales real good!

7. WMtaxi

WMtaxi Member

im curious to know about putting this in pickles too! does it make the leather softer so it shaves easier? what exactly does it do? what happens if its not iron free alum? thanks a bunch