1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

If the skin is green, is it worth saving?

Discussion in 'Beginners' started by NE CO HHT, Mar 16, 2011.

1. NE CO HHT

NE CO HHT New Member

While skinning out a fox the tail end, the skin is green looking. Is it worth trying to tan or is it signs of rotting?

2. Green is baaaaad news! Is it slipping hair?

3. bowhunr

bowhunr New Member

Green means starting to decompose. Sometimes you can save the hide by rubbing in some stop rot. Wolves,coyotes,foxes and other thin skinned predators are notorious for going green real quick. I have saved quite a few though with green belly by applying stop rot to the fur side and skin side while skinning it out. Whether it was the stop rot or not that did the trick I don't know but it worked. No slippage during tanning. Hope this helps.

4. 3bears

3bears Well-Known Member

MN
    There is a good chance it is bad. Predators have some nasty bacteria in their digestive tracts. It doesn't take long for that area to start to spoil. I have had green skins come out fine and I have had them slip, it is a toss up. I recommend Stop Rot in that situation. I have a coyote that just came back from the tannery and it came out fine and it was starting to turn green in the belly before the rest was fully thawed out. Only you can decide if you want to press on or give up on it. If all else fails it sounds like there is enough left for a pedestal mount. Good Luck.

5. NE CO HHT

NE CO HHT New Member

Hair was not slipping, I just knew it didn't look right and before I scrapped the whole thing I wanted to be sure. That helps a lot, I'll try that and see what happens.

6. Matt

Matt Active Member

Yes, it can be a toss up. I have save some and have lost some. If the hair is tight, you have a chance. I had a slimy green wt come in this season that most would have lost their lunch on, but it turned out fine with alittle work.

7. muscle20

muscle20 New Member

Put it through the process, if it turns out good ok if it does not, to bad I have done that many times, its a gamble.

8. If the hair is nor slipping its fine. just dont take lots of time. A strong pickle and it will set the hair and take the green out.

9. NE CO HHT

NE CO HHT New Member

Thanks for all the replies. It's helped a bunch and I'll know for future animals as such to have them brought to me immediately and process immediately as well. I'll finish the process and see if it turns out or not.

10. cwt

cwt Active Member

I had an elk and the muzzle was al green and just rubbed alt on it got it all fleshed rubbed salt on the hole thing put a fan on it and sent it to the tannery and came out fine