1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

The Week in Fish Pictures~ Week #25 March 23 2007- March 29 2007

Discussion in 'Fish Taxidermy' started by Rick Krane, Mar 23, 2007.

1. Pescado

Pescado Biggest in 2011

Brian,
    I know that silver box. I think you more than "saw it",lol. I have an older one I'm customizing, I will send you a photo when complete.

PB

2. Brian W

Brian W Active Member

Paul, Sounds good. Always enjoy your "hospitality". Fair trade for lugging around the compressor. ;D

3. NINETOE

NINETOE New Member

Well Im now out of pics to post, I sure wish I'd taken pictures of all the fish Ive done. Ill have to get busy when I get back.

Heres a (spearless) Pike.

4. gus

gus New Member

Thanks Fishmounter, I like the relaxed fins look too, but some of my customers don't seem to go for it. Must be an old school thing?

5. kebees4

kebees4 New Member

Ohio
    Let me have it. This is my second reproduction. Tell me whats you think.

6. Jeff Lumsden

Jeff Lumsden Well-Known Member

Bill -That mature Steelhead is awesome! And I've done a few of them. Look me up in Reno will Ya?

7. NOAH@aarrkk

[email protected] Active Member

GA
    Kebees4,
    overall I think you did well on this bass replica. Since you asked for comments, IMHO, the eye seems to be watching above, at the surface of the water perhaps. I tend to try to place the eye so that it's looking downward or at least out to the sides/forward. Seems also that the greenish coloration on the gill cover extends down too far into the white. I didn't see the reference you used however so you could be correct. For the typical spotting pattern beneath the lateral pattern, it seems that you used the dark color and steel wool technique to give detail to the scales and probably let it go with that rather than adding color to the individual scales beneath the lateral spot pattern.

You asked for opinions so this is mine..........for what they're worth. Is this replica from a supplier? If so who?

jerry

8. Joey Arender

Joey Arender big mouth alert

I like to peek in here so I figured I would stick this out here. I never get to do many of these. This one is the first trout that i ever tried to scale tip and it was also the first fish that i have finished since I quit smoking...Feb 2nd was my last day....any how here is my version of a rainbow...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. UFD

UFD New Member

Wow, neat variety of fish this week, and they all look sweet – just truly outstanding work from everyone. Paul, the big plastic fish had to be fun to help out on and see it come together! :p

For this week I thought I’d post something different (for me) that I finished last summer. I had only done a couple Tigers up to that point, and this was my first full blood Musky from Canada (or anywhere else). I had done a LM and SM Bass for this client, and when he called and said he was bringing a 48” Musky in, I was stoked and looked forward to it being one of the tan/brown looking ones. I couldn’t believe it when he brought the fish and some pictures in and it was real silvery with a lot of green/blue shimmer on the sides and a darker olive back: I thought to myself, “Man, I must be cursed, because I just can’t get away from silvery fish!!” ???

Anyway, this is a skin mount with a custom cast head and fins, and I ended up skinning it pedestal so that I could pull a mold off of the mount. At least I have a mold of it now so when I get a chance I can cast one up and try my hand at painting one of the more “normal” looking Muskies. :)

P.S. - Rick, quit f’n off and get back in your shop to get some fish done so we can see some more of your work – LOL!! ;D

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. kebees4

kebees4 New Member

Ohio
    Jerry it came from e-bay. It was made by ???? Composites in Cinn. Ohio. Not as nice as the one I got from Bev's Fish Creations but what do you expect for $75.00. I wanted something cheap to play with. Here is a picture of my first from Bev's.

11. dougp

dougp Active Member

Dave...really like your musky! I assume that blanks will be available of that fish ??? Might like to do one of those ;D BTW....I could very easily join you in a "root beer" if we could talk shop!!!
    All you guys are comin' through with some great fish this week ;D

I don't have anything new, ssooo since Dave posted his super musky I'll follow his lead with a Ontario musky skin mount that I did in 1980-81 ??? This fish was an experimental model for me ::)
    All the markings were done by hand with wax rubs & acrylics/brush. Just a very subtle wall mount. Different from my usual "style".....I kinda like it :-\

12. featherhead

featherhead Member

Dave and Doug, very nice looking muskies.Still waiting on my biggy from Starfish.

13. Jeff Lumsden

Jeff Lumsden Well-Known Member

Dave- Love the Musky! Even w/o the sea lice! Doug 26 (oops) years ago? Awesome!!! Beautiful work on the Rainbow Joey and congrats on quitting smoking! I still chomp a cigar now and then, well maybe more than that! Nice fish all of you!

14. UFD

UFD New Member

Thanks guys, glad you like the Musky! Jeff, that would have been funny to put a few sea lice on it, and they probably wouldn’t have looked too far out of place! :eek:

Doug, those markings and that entire Musky look great. The fish looks like one of those silvery buggers, too. In the case of that fish, an airbrush probably wouldn’t have given you the effect you were looking for on the markings? Did some of those hand-painting techniques become the basis of some of the techniques you use today or did you completely drop those ideas for different techniques? '80-'81 was a long time ago for such an awesome looking fish, so I guess you were thinking outside the box (to quote Rick) before the box had even been invented – LOL. ;D I did my first two fish in ’79 at the age of 13 (nearly 14), and with as much respect that I have for your work, if I had known of you back then you would have been my idol and guru! ;)

15. Frank E. Kotula

Frank E. Kotula master, judge, instructor

Gotto love the great fish work.

16. Pat M

Pat M New Member

Hello all,

Here is a "Striper" for a customer that I did a few years ago. Kinda different so I thought I would post.

Pat

17. Rick Krane

Rick Krane Fish Taxidermist/ Judge/ Sculptor/ Instructor

Just checking in for a momnet!

WOW the work this week is strong and impressive! I really like the Muskie work! So much good head and eye candy to feast from!!!!

Uncle Dave!!!! I hope you are thinking of going to Reno! I have some thing for us there! I want to ask My other fellow fish head Jeff L if he wants to tag along it will be great. Frank K is on board so lets make a big day out of it and have a fish meeting of the minds!

OK off to San Fran! I'll be back Monday so Dave I'll give ya a call when I'm back home.

Great work again this week!!!!!

My Best!

Rick ( on the road again) Krane

18. NOAH@aarrkk

[email protected] Active Member

GA
    Here's a 9 3/4 lb LMB I molded and cast and finished yesterday(I didn't do it all in one day!!!!---don't I wish!!!).
    [​IMG]

I molded and cast the gills using hot glue:
    [​IMG]

As you can see, I took Rick's suggestion about scale detail: used a pencil and drew the scale detail into the seam area.

The mold was made in 4 sections and I plan to make another cast and re-work it and make a new mold to include the mouth interior into the molding process. When, I'm not sure but SOMEDAY!!!

Have a great week and keep up the great work. I really enjoy seeing all that you folks do.

jerry

19. Joey Arender

Thanks Jeff...I wish i would have quit 20 years ago when I started...I forgot how good I could feel...

Here is another customers fish I finished today ...well almost... It is a skin mount brown with cast head and fins...I don't likee the tail and tried to copy the one from the fish for the spots and I failed...but I think its better then my last attempt at a brown

in the photo it appears to be a run in the gloss as well as a milky streak ..I sure can't find it in the fish though...but ohh well here it is

[​IMG]

20. Joey Arender

Well I went back Out And did find that run or sag...Its was dry and I could feel it it must have been in the sealer coat..it looks like the 800 grit wet paper fixed it though...Its gone now