1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

What is the deal in finding vermiculite !!!

Discussion in 'Molding and Casting' started by RTF, Mar 18, 2011.

1. RTF

RTF Active Member

None of my Home Depots and Lowes within 100 miles stocks it. Are you kidding me ! You can order it online but they wont stock our stores with it.

2. bill@hogheaven

[email protected] New Member

It is used to pot plants, try a garden center. Thats where I get mine.

3. I think I should have went to the garden center amd got a small bag. I bought one at Menards and the bag is about 4 feet tall and I can barely get my arms around it. I think that will make a lot of MP's rock backing on my wall peds! LOL

Bruce

4. Kerby Ross

Kerby Ross KSU - Class of '83; U.S. Army - Infantry (83-92)

Home Depot..........

The garden section in Home Depot should have it. The one here in Prescott, AZ carries it, the big bag. I buy a big bag every year. I use it for a medium for my lay boxes for my gravid snakes and also for a medium (with water) to incubate my snake eggs......and also a little bit for taxidermy purposes.

:)

Kerby...

5. psycho

psycho 2011 WORLD CHAMPIONS!

Try the nurseries for sure. A 4 cubic foot back is like $18 here. Thats a bunch of vermiculite. LOL Dan

6. AUplantman

AUplantman New Member

We just got an 18wheeler load in this week of the fine grade. I usually prefer the coarse, but just use whatever is available!! ;D

7. psycho

The fine stuff is freaking AWESOMER! (thats for George and AFWS) LOL I prefer the fine but hey coarse works. I can deliver some to the Ohio show for $27 a bag prepaid by pay pal if you all need some. Let me know. Dan

8. coonhollow

coonhollow Active Member

cliftax if you need vermiculite and are going to the NY show I can bring some up for you?

9. I'm having trouble finding it in my area also. I have two places left to check one is a feed mill and the other is a greenhouse/garden center type place that just opened up for the season. I couldn't find it and was told they do not stock it at Lowes, Home Depot and Walmart. I could check Kmart but I'll be going to that garden center soon and I can't imagine they won't have it.
    I think Home Depot online would deliver it free of charge if you placed an order of $250 or more, but I don't order anything from there and don't need $250 worth of vermiculite.

10. coonhollow

coonhollow Active Member

wheres Westover PA? if your in route of any of my travels I can drop you some off.

11. I'm between Altoona and Punxsutawney, close to the center of the state.

12. coonhollow

coonhollow Active Member

you are in luck!
    http://www.therm-o-rock.com/directions.asp

13. coonhollow

coonhollow Active Member

http://www.therm-o-rock.com/vermiculite.asp

they have a plant in the west also!

14. I don't know how I missed finding there site in my searching, but their plant is about 2 hours from me.
    Are you going to their plant to get vermiculite?

15. coonhollow

coonhollow Active Member

Probably at some point. I get their brand locally pretty reasonably.

16. I'm going to see if I can get it for a decent price at this greenhouse for right now. I only go to Pittsburgh a few times a year, but will see about stopping by their plant the next time I'm down there.

17. RTF

RTF Active Member

Thanks coonhollow ! Thats nice of you but I will have a bag before hand.

18. RTF

RTF Active Member

Just bought a bag and it is shipped for free ! NO there is no minimum order. I bought one bg and they charged me $0.00 for standard 3 to 5 day shipping.

http://www.homedepot.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?langId=-1&storeId=10051&catalogId=10053&productId=202187625&R=202187625

19. aspenangler@hotmail.com

[email protected] B+______><(((°>______><(((°>

marking for future reference ;D

20. psycho

mine is actually $22 for a 4 cubic foot bag now but thats with tax. If any of you are going to the Ohio Show I will bring you a bag for $27 a bag. Handling fee you know! LOL ;D