1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

???

Discussion in 'Beginners' started by dktaxidermy, Mar 18, 2011.

1. dktaxidermy

dktaxidermy I'm on top of the dirt; how bad can it be?

//

2. dktaxidermy

//

3. dktaxidermy

4. dktaxidermy

5. rbear

rbear Active Member

Re: 1st deer???How bad is it???

Kirby
    Here's the deal there are many things that need to be fixed on this deer. Allot of people on this site like to not talk badly about other people's work. I have somethings to do for the next few hours so I will come back and share a few comments.
    Ralph

6. jorgy

jorgy New Member

For starters look at photo's of a mule deer and then look at your mount. Yes the eyes are bad, the ears are bad, and most of it is in fact bad. When you then look at the photo's you can see for yourself how it is messed up.

7. rbear

rbear Active Member

OK Most people will agree that a mount is made up of allot of things but the ones that gets noticed the most is the eyes, ears, and nose. Now we can disagree in the order of these but the fact remains that if you get these three things looking good you can get away with other issues.
    Start with the eyes they are off shape and over painted. This are the things that stand out now but if we were to look at the mount before the hide went on I would bet they were placed wrong to start with.
    The ears were not turned all the way to the ends. That is why they are curling. The ear buts are really weak you need allot more clay under there.
    The nose has very little semitry. It looks dead. Did you paint it? I would bet not. It is very lumpy and looks like it was not thinned properly maybe not even fleshed properly.
    Take pride in the fact that you finished a deer head!! My advice is to 1) work on hide prep to start with 2) look at semitry and anatomy of the animal and 3) the work on painting and grooming.
    Hope this helps.
    Ralph

8. Quill

Quill New Member

Hi Kirby, I remember my first deer took me 12 hours I felt like I had been hit by a truck, the total focus was exhausting, but I was soooooooo proud of that deer, one year later I thought it was the most embarassing thing I had ever seen so I took it apart and redid it, that redo is still kicking around and now I think it looks ridiculous and keep it hidden until I can redo it again some day. So what I am saying is Good for you, you did a deer and you did it all on your own. Ralph's critique is right on and honest, your length of butts are too long and too skinny, in fact one ear looks longer than the other. You mentioned having a hard time matching cape to horns, that does not show up in the photo's. The eye paint, much too dark, surprizingly just looking at the dead animal skin color or even one back from the tannery helps, if you can just make a blend of colors that are richer but similar to what you see, that is often a very muted color, (I use oil paints) I acheive the muted color by adding a touch of white to my burnt umber and black. Or make a grey and then add burnt umber till you like the color. Your reference photo does show dark eye skin, but that line is very close to the rim of the eye, on your deer the dark is much to extensive.
    Thats my two cents........for what its worth
    Tracy

9. RoyalOaksRanch

RoyalOaksRanch Royal Oaks Taxidermy- When Quality Counts...

Antlers arent correct either...
    For paint, I use dark brown, never black...
    watch your hair patterns.
    You need to grab the ear butts and cram them up closer to the antler burs.

Now you have the first one under your belt, learn from it... change all the things you need to. Look at real deer for reference. Take each part and work on it... The eye, or the nose, dont try to do the entire picture at one go... break it down into sections..

10. dktaxidermy

Ralph, Tracy, thanks for the help. I was pretty sure those are the things you would tell me. thanks. i had no idea how to paint the eyes as far as color goes, now i will be able to do better on the next one. the other thing is what is wrong with the antlers Oaks? I'm not sure how they should look so again, please explain. criticism with B>S> or vehemence is a true learning tool in my book. thanks. will post another one when i can get another one to put together. if i take this one apart, i will only have to get a cape that will fit, since i will already have the antlers and mannikin. please God bring me a 7.25 x 18 mule deer for Easter.

thanks again guys.

kirby

Also i was told to put a little more clay under the nose and in the tear ducts, along with more clay in the ear butts.

11. redwolf

redwolf New Member

Have you watched Rick Carter's Mounting a white tail A to Z?

12. Kevin Halle

Kevin Halle Active Member

I highly recommend it!

13. Re: 1st deer???How bad is it???

What Redwolf and Kevin said.

14. Ittybit

Ittybit New Member

IL

I also agree with the dvd. Even if you can't afford to go to a school or spend a day with any expert look for other educational opportunities. Get a good dvd or a couple, attend the state, national and or world taxidermy show. Join your state association and attend the seminars. Above all...as the others said get good references and use them. I have several pictures I tack on the wall next to where I am working. Close up pictures of eyes, ears, nose and mouth. I also use pictures from old calendars I keep. And yes I also have that first deer I keep out of sight. Keep going and keep improving.

15. dktaxidermy

haven't been able to afford the rick carter dvd yet. it and the michael p video are definitely on my wish list. thanks for the help

one person said the antlers were wrong i guess i'm not seeing what he meant if someone does please let me know as i most likely will use the antler and the mannikin, get a cape and try again.

i knew it wasn't perfect :( (if it was i would sell it to WASCO or someone ::) lol) mostly learning how to not make mistakes is the coolest thing about this website. ;D

kirby

ps, one more thing for the easter bunny to bring me...rick carter's a to z video

16. rbear

rbear Active Member

The antlers are tipped back to far. Here would be a great start for you. I have attached a thread that is 42 pages long where people on this site go over a bunch of anatomy. This site has a endless information opportunities for free. Start poking around and you will learn allot.
    Ralph
    http://www.taxidermy.net/forum/index.php/topic,91719.0.html

17. dktaxidermy

thanks Ralph, i do appreciate it.

kirby

18. Mr.T

Mr.T New Member

I think you can scratch up $29.95 for Rick Carters video. You really should try to find $29.95, you are just wasting money on materials if you don't. Asking strangers that you do not know, might bring you more wrong information than good. My tip is that you should sell some junk out of your inventory closet on ebay, and buy Rick Carters DVD. The DVD cost less than the form and eyes that you purchased to practice on. What can you sell, that you do not play with anymore? The best information ever put out to date in the whole wide wide world on how to build a deer can be in your hands for just $29.95. Don't be so cheap.

19. Re: 1st deer???How bad is it???

I agree with T on this one.
    The next money you have to spend on taxidermy needs to be for Rick's dvd.
    I to have only done one deer but I bought the dvd first and you will not regret getting the dvd.

20. vmarzilli

vmarzilli New Member

I hate to sound like a broken record but... I have only mounted two deer, I did it with some help from this forum, but primarily with the information on Rick Carter's DVD. If you have some skill with your hands and can process what you see on TV than you can do a pretty decent job for a first, or second mount. I watched the video in it's entirety a few times and watched specific segments more times than I can count. There is an unbelievable amount of information packed into a few hours that is based on a lifetime of experience. The video is professionally done, well organized, and easy to understand. I agree with Mr. T, $30 is extremely inexpensive for so much information, maybe even a steal. Buy it!, Vince