1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Whitetail manes

Discussion in 'Deer and Gameheads' started by Kyle Lakey, Mar 18, 2011.

1. Kyle Lakey

Kyle Lakey Active Member

Just curious how many deer everyone gets in with a mane every year? We seem to have a heavy gene for it around here. I'm seeing it in about 10% of bucks that come in. I've already mounted 4 this year and have atleast 3 more to mount that I know of but I'm sure there is another or two cuz I don't always notice them if a client brings in a deer caped right up to the back of the head.

2. rbear

rbear Well-Known Member

I Had only one last year.
    Ralph

3. JerseyJays

JerseyJays Well-Known Member

i took in 3 or 4 this year with one (about 10%)

4. I've only taken in one with a mane since I started doing it for customers 4 years ago.

5. Kyle,

I think I am running between 5-10% too. I am a long incision guy. When caping I make sure to go around the mane with my cut.

Bruce

6. Kyle Lakey

Kyle Lakey Active Member

Cool Bruce. Yeah I thought it would be interesting to kind of see the geographic of where the gene for it is heaviest throughout the US. I'm thinking we are in one of the stronger areas for it but interested in where else its found alot. I was right at 10% last season too. I do the shortest Y possible thats why I miss a couple of the smaller manes if I'm not lookin at it real close and its in the neck shoulder junction.... I got that mulie rack I got from you mounted the other day. I'll send ya some pics when I finish putting it together for the iowa show.

7. I took in five this year, none the year before and at least one every year prior to that.

8. cypresslake

cypresslake Jude Bordelon Cypresslake Taxidermy

3 this year and none last year

9. 1 this year 1 last year.

10. Richbo

Richbo 2nd place is the first loser!

1 last year, came from Hadley Creek, IL.