1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

African Tan

Discussion in 'Tanning' started by ozzy49938, Mar 20, 2011.

1. Looking for a little in site from you folks that are more experinced with African skins than myself. I have a hartebeest skin that I just mounted. The skin was dry tanned not sure how long ago this was done. Problem I had was the skin was like rubber in most spots. The big problem came in any area that I thinned IE (eyes nose lips). These areas were like tissue paper and ripped and tore very easy. I rehydrated the skin with Downy fabric softener and water. I than washed the hide in a salt and tide mix that I use on my whitetails. Is there something I did wrong or are these common problems that happen on African tans. The guy has 35 to tanned hides that he wants mounted. Not sure I want to get into this if the hides are going to keep falling apart on me. Thanks for any help you can throw my way.
    Ozzy

2. muscle20

muscle20 New Member

The rubbery spots are from swell did you use salt in your rehydration bath? It sounds like the skin has acid rot if it was tearing apart, not much you can do about that, if this is any indication of the quality and age then good luck with the other skins.

3. ljones

ljones 1994 wasco award winner

i have had good luck with hides like your describing by oiling them good with warm tanning oil, allow it to soak in overnite then tumble for awhile in a sawdust drum, this should help to soften or limp up the hide where it is more plyable and easier to work with

4. Rhino

Rhino Too many irons in the fire will put the fire out!

Most likely, you will have additional problems with the other skins also, if they were tanned by the same person, at the same time? A hand full of salt per gallon in the rehydration bath wouldnt hurt.

Like Muscle20 said, the hartebeeste has acid rot.

I would get a little money up front for your time, then proceed to rehydrate them all, and freeze the good ones, if there are any. Then you and your customer will know where things stand, right up front.

I dont agree with the Tide thing, but thats not going to make a skin fall apart. Nothing you did.