1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Best Wall Color For Displaying Whitetail Mounts

Discussion in 'Deer and Gameheads' started by Spysar, Mar 20, 2011.

1. Spysar

Spysar Member

I love looking at the "Head Of the Week" and looking at all the pro's great pics. I'm going to paint my living room and have quite a few whitetail mounts of my own.

My question for all you guys and gals, what background color, or wall color is the best for displaying whitetails?

2. LordRusty

LordRusty If I agreed with you, we'd both be wrong.

Ohio
    I'm a traditionalist, and really like the old "Trophy Room" look. I know it's "dated" but then again so am I, and the majority of my clients! :D

I like to see Deer head mounts without a wood panel or shield, hung on a paneled wall. Not just the chinzy-looking veneer paneling ... I'm talking actual routed wood panels that are stained or that you can stain and finish, or the tongue in groove boards, or actual panels of wood boards - if you can find them anymore - nailed to the underwall.

Some of the newer "suede" texture painting processes look nice, in shades of tan, or medium brown.

I feel it is best to keep the colors neutral or subdued, as this enhances the head mount.

You will find this is totally a personal choice with each individual who responds. ;)

The best advice I can give ... go with what you are comfortable with, or with what you know your client base is comfortable looking at. You have to live with it, so make it what you like to see.

Just be aware not to fall into the "latest and greatest" syndrome. I've seen some pretty asinine room colors come down the pike of late.

And keep in mind what it is you are displaying and trying to sell. "Outdoor wildlife brought indoors."

Good luck to you,
    John.

3. The color my wife likes...that philosophy has worked for forty years now! :D

4. bucksnort25

bucksnort25 New Member

I have found that a rusty red color seems to really make deer "pop" on the wall. They just seem to stand out with that color.

5. michael p.

michael p. Getting better with age :)

Since it is your living room, your favorite color will work perfectly.......good work will stand out by itself

6. I have to say I like the wood paneling or barnwood walls look myself.

7. Mr.T

Mr.T Active Member

It really doesn't matter what color the wall is, if your intension is to post a photo here in the game head of the week thread,, it is not a contest. And everybody only looks at it once.

8. George

George The older I get, the better I was.

It's a personal preference, but in my family room for my own personal trophies, I elected to go with white over a dark panel wainscoating. It adds light to a room with only 3 windows and it absolutely sets off mounts even when placed close to one another.

[​IMG]

9. FIELD2FOREVER

FIELD2FOREVER The more I learn, The more I don't Know!!

I have a friend who's trophy room is rough cut lumber, his mounts look great against it. I however live in that "my wife likes it" world, my mounts are hung on a light brown textured wall, not so much "popping", but she lets me keep hangen them up so I think just keep my mouth shut!!!