1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

What is L1?

Discussion in 'Bird Taxidermy' started by Ginger2000, Mar 21, 2011.

1. Ok long story short I'm trying to follow another taxidermists tutorial on mounting birds. I'm going to go ahead and try and mount a little Common Teal.

In the tutorial the person used a lotion they claim that ''tans'' the bird skin. So I asked them about this, what was it called, and such...

This is what they told me:

Their skins cannot be garment tanned. Some of them can, but many end up too fragile. Heck, if you have the patience, fish skins can be garment tanned as well!

I tan -all- skin, otherwise they'll just be eaten by bugs over time. They'll look grand the first year, maybe two, but soon skins will shrink too much and bugs will damage skins if they're not tanned and treated against it.

I use a substance called L1 for tanning my bird skins.

I do know you can't garment tan bird skins, I wanted to know what tanning chemical they were using. The name ''L1'' doesn't help at all for me :( and when I replied to the person asking what exactly is L1, and where to get it, they ignored me.

I tried checking the taxidermy supply sites I buy from by searching this ''L1'' but I've been getting ''no such item''.

Honestly, does anyone know what this persons talking about? What do you use to ''TAN'' bird skins. I feel this person is deliberatly with-holding information from me, and its really degrading.

I bought a Teal mounting kit some time ago and it came with a preservative that you paint onto the skin before mounting, I'm not totally sure if that is it or not.

Seriously tho can someone shed some light on this for me? What is L1?

2. Cole

Cole Amateur Taxidermist

Not sure what L1 is, but I can tell you that a tanned skin is just as likely, or unlikely to be eaten by bugs as a skin that is cleaned and dusted with borax.

3. Its okay, I got a pm with some help :)
    Still irks me that the taxidermist that told me originally about L1 couldn't bother to explain where to get it. :(

4. Glass eye

Glass eye Active Member

Bugs don't eat the skin, they eat the feathers at the quills and are like tiny beavers gnawing away at the forest of feathers. TIMBER !!!!!

ps. there is skin that they enjoy to eat, duck feet.

5. Wonder if they also like the taste of paint then lol

6. Glass eye

Glass eye Active Member

Apparently they do !

7. Wouter

Wouter Member

L1 is a tanning fluid which is available in Holland, via the taxidermy supply company Bouten in Venlo. They sell all kinds of chemicals, which are coded L1 to L10.

Wouter

8. I wouldn't bother with the tanning process on a bird, wash and borax and you will get a better result with out the hassle

9. taxos

taxos Finches, Buntings

no hassle at all! just brush the liquid L1 on the skin side of the hide, let is soak for some 5 to 10 minutes and you'll have a nicely tanned skin. Mixing it with L9 gives you a strong tanning solution.

btw Cast n blast have you used L1?

10. SteveP

SteveP New Member

I use Liqua Cure on birds. For years, I didn't think it would be worth the hassle, cost, and time. After trying it a year ago, I realized I'm saving myself some hassle in keeping the shape and grooming of a bird during the drying period. I use less caulk and have no mess from borax during the mounting process.

Of course, there are many ways to mount a bird, but the best one is always going to be the one you like to do. ::) ;D

11. alan webfoot

alan webfoot New Member

Steve P borax does seem to get everywhere doesn't it? actually drawing moisture out skin to kinda' rewet areas.Making you blow dry them again

12. snowhare

snowhare New Member

L1

WELL I MIX IT WITH ARSNIC AND L9 AND KAMPHER AND NAPTHALINE , NOW THAN YOU HAVE WHAT I CALL A VERY GOOD YET POISEN BRU ;D ;D ;D
    NO MOTH NO DERMESTICK NO NADA

13. taxos

taxos Finches, Buntings

ah yes, good ole arsenic!