1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Rare Skunk (White with Black Stripe and Black Spots on Shoulders.) FREE

Discussion in 'For Sale' started by driftwood0014, Mar 21, 2011.

1. The only problem is...it's living under my back porch. It's a large beautiful skunk but I'm afraid of trying to live trap it. Any suggestions?

2. use a cage trap. when u catch him a pproach him slowly. cover trap with sheet. ther are ways to dispatch but i wont go there. after it is dead wash real good. i got a recipe for a good skunk shampoo if u need it. then skin tan and send it to me ;D i would luv to mount one.

3. Doubled-d65

Doubled-d65 Member

PA
    good luck jim,call dave tell him you have a specimen for him start to finish.

4. I caught a skunk in my live trap a couple years ago...and it wasn't good.

5. Hi Dennis...I'll tell him!!

6. Sea Wolf

Sea Wolf Well-Known Member

Catch in a live trap and do as r.rase78 says. Chances are, it won't spray. Watch the tail. If it's down, you're ok. If it's up and he's facing you and stomping, back off. I have even had skunks fall asleep in live traps and had to shake them out. If you have access to a barrel with water deep enough to submerge the entire trap at once, you could drown it. Chances are it won't spray then either. But now you have a soggy skunk. Others take and bag the trap in plastic and run the car exhaust into it till dead. Not sure about not spraying then. You can inject it with a syringe of acetone .. if you can get close enough. Nice kill and normally no stink then.

Take some pictures of it while it is walking around. Set out some peanuts and green grapes to get it to stay put while you take pictures. :)

7. i use the syringe /pole method w/ acetone.works great,and if you have warmer climate or if weather allows you can use a water hose and spray a mist up over the skunk, they seem to not like getting wet and takes there mind off you, just approach low and camly talking sweet to it head on, , and move very slowly,no sudden jeks, when the oppurtunity is there when your close enough ,say 3 or so feet depending on your pole puch the needle into him behind the front shoulder, works 95 some percent of the time for me

8. I don't know if I'd try trapping it just yet. Trapping season on skunks in PA went out on Feb. 20th. Unless there is a nuisance law of some sort you might need someone with an animal control license to trap it. Don't bash me for that comment, just thinking of the posibility of an idiot neighbor stickin' their nose where it doesn't belong. If you don't live right in Punxsutawney you could shoot it, no closed season for hunting. If you are allowed to trap it, I could come dispatch it and take it off your hands. :)

9. Thanks for the tips gang!! I didn't think about them being out of season. His fur is still prime, but I think I'll wait till traping season to try to catch him. I do live in town and have nosey neighbors.

10. Sea Wolf

Feed him to keep him around. Put cat food, peanuts and other treats in a pan. He won't wander off far. If you are within his sight and his tail is down, he is not concerned about you at all. Only if the tail is up and he is stomping his feet should you feel a need to back off. The skunk won't spray unless it is forced too. If you feed it, it will actually become quite tame. I'd still like to see a picture of this guy. :) It shouldn't be hard. :)

11. Photos would be nice. :) Good reference too for if you mount it or somone buys it to mount it.

12. nelentaxidermy

nelentaxidermy New Member

PA
    http://www.portal.state.pa.us/portal/server.pt?open=514&objID=576240&mode=2
    OPOSSUM, SKUNKS & WEASELS: No closed season, except Sundays and during legal hunting hours of the spring gobbler season. No limits.

The above web link is to the Game Commission website and copy and pasted.

If it is a nuisance you have options.
    If in town sometimes neighbors dont like guns.
    Look up a guy named Sunderland, from Grampian.
    He traps nuisance pests, he is also a trapper and fur buyer.

13. WMtaxi

WMtaxi Member

i would love the skunk shampoo recipe!!! please!!

14. bob wendt

bob wendt indiana, wyoming and kansas

save yoriself a ton of hassle and just buy a skinned no stink no damage western skunk with great stripes and tail from me ,for cheap. makes a pa. skunk look like a rat. serious. or you could do like all the suggestions above. but for a first timer I`d predict a disaster of biblical proportions. PFFFFFFFFFFFT! you, your house, the neighbors, the block, 1/2 the town. eventually the smell will go away, then a year later you`ll get a damp day and your wife will say ( it`s a female linked smeller thing), I still smell that skunk.........

15. Sea Wolf

If this is the recipe that uses peroxide, baking soda and soap ... be aware that a skin I had that this was used on came back from being tanned with terrible color loss. Instead of black .. what was black was now chocolate brown. That recipe works on you and your dogs too.

http://home.earthlink.net/~skunkremedy/home/sk00001.htm

Skin was dry tanned by the Wildlife Gallery. Maybe other methods of tanning don't affect it.

16. bmdakk

bmdakk Report to moderator

I think the skunk shampoo would be for him , not the skunk.

17. I have a smaller cage trap, its cramped for the animal but I have caught a lot of skunks in it.

Just be carefull and cover the trap. Never been sprayed doing this, matter of fact I have used paper feed sacks to cover the trap and the noise does not bother them.

18. mooseballs

mooseballs New Member

I am not even going to waste my time, YOUR not WORTH it

19. shot it in the head or spine with a 22, that should paralyze it, then it shouldn't spray.

call animal control or animal removal guy.

20. newhouse114

newhouse114 New Member

DO NOT shoot it in the head, causes problems for taxidermists AND almost ALWAYS results in spraying. I have been killing skunks for over 35 years and can count on one hand the number of head shot skunks that didn't spray.