1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

bran flakes in a tan?

Discussion in 'Tanning' started by Becky P, Mar 21, 2011.

1. Becky P

Becky P One must believe the glass is half full.

Stumbled across this article on home tanning - http://www.motherearthnews.com/modern-homesteading/how-to-tan-a-hide.aspx
    Bran flakes? Just curious as to the purpose, anyone know? I think I'll stick with KT at the moment as it's easier than this concoction, LOL.

2. Frank E. Kotula

Frank E. Kotula master, judge, instructor

LOL I read the thread on how to do it and those that have. Doesn't seam to be any good luck with it and I think it's 2011 LOL. I use the bran for breakfast. It's a shame they let folks do this and then ruin their skins but hey I have swamp land that you can build a skyscraper on. Any takers?

3. tuckertan

tuckertan New Member

some people use bran flakes as a bating procedure in bark tanning. from what i've read, leaving bran in water for three days causes it to ferment, creating an acidic environment.. in bark tanning it's used to delime a hide after it's been dehaired in an alkalizing solution. it's also used in hair on tanning, something in the bran after it's been fermented causes hides to be really soft.. though i haven't found someone with an answer as to why yet. something to play with.. trial by error is the best way to learn.. play with all the options, just because someone does something one way doesn't mean their right, there's an insane amount of methods to tan, a lot has to do with experience and what your patient with i've learned. it's supposed to be fun, so experiment!!

4. bearrug48

bearrug48 Active Member

How about adding raisins............LOL

5. Bruce_Rittel

Bruce_Rittel Consultant Services

Bates work because they eat the undissolved fat out of the tissues - hence the more softness associated with their use. Be careful though. Some are used on the Alkaline side, some on the Acidic side. Also the Acidic ones arent intended to be used on leather as the will attack the grain side of the skin.

6. Becky P

Becky P One must believe the glass is half full.

Thanks for the explanation. I won't be trying it, was just curious.