1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Deer Nictitating Membrane

Discussion in 'Beginners' started by vmarzilli, Mar 24, 2011.

1. vmarzilli

vmarzilli New Member

I am curious about the functioning of the nictitating membrane in Deer. Does it bunch up in the front corner of the eye when open? I realize some of it is visible in the front corner, but does some of it, and how much, go under between the skin and eye? Any information would be appreciated, or if someone could send me to a comprehensive resource for this and other Deer anatomy info that would be great. Thanks, Vince

2. Cole

Cole Amateur Taxidermist

The nictitating membrane doesn't bunch up in the front corner, it's shape remains constant. It slides around under the skin of the eyelids and remains in contact with the eyeball.

3. Mr.T

Mr.T Active Member

Call me lazy, but I only do nic's on my comp deer. I only visit that area once a year,, when I have to.

4. Lazy...... :)

5. Kevin M.

Kevin M. Active Member

And Mr T.
    I bet a customer has never asked about either . Have they ? They don't know it even excites.

6. Mr.T

Mr.T Active Member

Very true Kevin. The only reason I see of why to put them in a commercial deer is for practice for when the competition time comes around. I am not saying you should put them in every deer, or that you shouldn't, it would be a good trick to have in the bag for when you need to go job hunting in the taxidermy field.

7. Doug Motgomery

Doug Motgomery Active Member

I sculp them in every deer.

8. redog76

redog76 New Member

it takes like 2 minutes to put the mckenzie ones in. They may never know, but it can make a difference with certain people

9. How do you guys put the McKenzie ones in . Do you put them on the eye before you mount the deer or do you put them in after you do your finish work . The reason I ask because I tried them on the last mount I did and they looked great but they seemed big and after I did my finish work I had to trim them up to fit . Do not know if I did it right or not ??? but it looked good any way ;D

10. dipper

dipper New Member

I use those cheap black plastic trays, that come with TV dinners. Cut them to shape; I use a black marker, to darken the exposed end. It's easiest to slide them in right after mounting, but they can be used, when the mount is dry. It's just a little harder to get them in, when everything's dried up. Takes a couple minutes, and it's free.

11. antlerman

antlerman NTA Life Member #0118

A lot of the time I just sculpt then in. Sometimes I use the real ones dried onto an eye and then trim and install. However, after a yoxathon, there's a new trick I like that is pretty amazing.

12. A tutorial showing the method you learned from Yox would be awesome.

13. 13 point

13 point Well-Known Member

This is from 10 years ago , mount and let your deer dry , when doing finish work mix a little Black apoxeysculpt and place in corner of eye take and smash it in and shape , using a artist brush and safety solvent blend it in and slightly lift off glass eye . It is very easy and fast once you’ve done it a time or 2 . Doing it this way also allows you to make it bigger or smaller depending on how far eye is turned .

Robert Baker likes this.
  14. Richard C

Richard C Well-Known Member

Ditto

15. Frank E. Kotula

Frank E. Kotula master, judge, instructor

Wrong Kevin it’s unfortunate that your clients are uneducated as mine do know and a few new clients who don’t know get educated in my shop. This way it educates them and they then realize what their getting and drop off their mounts here and then they explain it to others

Lance.G and 13 point like this.
  16. Tanglewood Taxidermy

Tanglewood Taxidermy Well-Known Member

I put them in there because I took them out of there. If it belongs there on the live animal AND it is visible, then it should be there on the finished mount.

Even if your customer knows nothing of them, if you put them in, it will make it look more life like and your customer will say something like "I don't know what it is, but your deer look so life like".

I said that to a taxidermist friend when I first started out and was looking at his mounts. He said that the little details that go un noticed in the live animal are details that for the most part go un noticed on a mount. When you take a lot of un noticed details and put them into the mount, it will look alive even though no one can put their finger on why, other than "it just does".

Last edited: Oct 21, 2020
    13 point likes this.
  17. Sea Wolf

Sea Wolf Well-Known Member

Someone may have the same info, but antlerman was last seen: May 9, 2018. Possibly someone shared it on a YouTube video but no idea what they would have called it.