1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Apoxie sculpt eyes

Discussion in 'Deer and Gameheads' started by nokes, Mar 25, 2011.

1. nokes

nokes New Member

Does anyone set your eyes with apoxie sculpt. Seems like if you sculpted them they would hold up better then clay. My clay work always gets a little distorted when putting the cape on and has to be redone throught the eye opening. I think if you used AS you could keep a little gap between the eye and the lid to tuck your skin. After its set maybe an ultra thin layer of clay just to set the skin into might work. What are your thoughts? Also the eye openings on a tanned and rehydrated cape seem small when i first set the eyes. They always expand when the skin drys, just seems a little small when first set.

2. Mr.T

Mr.T Active Member

Why do you clay the eyes before putting the cape on? If you put the cape on first and clay the eye through the Y cut, you will not smear them putting the cape on.
    In the past, there have been post here about the glass eye cracking after setting the eyes in apoxy sculpt. It is a one time shot, get it right or there is no rehydrating and fixing.

3. zubba

zubba Active Member

I will continue to clay my eyes through the Y AFTER the cape is on. I'm not a good enough taxidermist to set my eyes in Apoxy Scuplt. I 'm usually still adjusting my eyes on day 3...lol.

4. nokes

nokes New Member

Critter clay is so soft that I do do the eyes through the Y after the cape is on but when you pull it on the face and sew the antlers in and taxi the skin around the eyes get a little distorted and smushed.

5. zubba

zubba Active Member

Be gentle as you slide the face on. As I slide the cape on the face, I use a couple 6" needles to hold the skin so that the skin doesn't sag on my claywork. These needles stay in until I'm done sewing. Then simply taxi the skin around the eyes and tuck.

6. Jake of cousins outdoors

Jake of cousins outdoors Shoot like you're hungry!

I am no means saying that it is right so noone take it that way, but I set my eyes with allgame the day before I mount when I do all my prep work and let it set up with the shape that I desire. Then carry on with mounting as usual I use the lay method so dont have to worry about tucking. I have allways done it this way and never had any of my eyes crack or had any other problems, that were not my fault to begin with. The only downfall I have is watching out for hard lines once it is set up thats what you got. This is just the way I do it like I said not saying this is the right way just what works best for me.

7. Kyle Lakey

Kyle Lakey Active Member

I set em with clay but i do it before putting the cape on. Haven't had problems smearing anything usually. Just put both arms in the capeand get it up on your forarms and slide your hands over the head to the skull plate attachment and push the cape over past the eyes. My hands are over the clay eyes protecting them from being rubbed by the cape as I slide it over and past the head. Doesn't work so well on skinny necked deer cuz its tighter with the width of the head but on our big northern deer it works well. Tip I learned at the state show this year was to let your clay eyes harden up good before putting the cape on and they will rehydrate enough to work and if not some water can be spryed on to get em softer. Probably not somethign to do with customer deer due to time is money but for comp its a great tip.

8. jcrosstaxidermy

jcrosstaxidermy New Member

Apoxie Sculpt on eyes for me ...get the skin really thin and go with it on commercial mounts..have even competed with it and done well ...to each his own i guess

9. My wife called me a sucker when I bought them, but those plastic eye shields that screw on the form are the best $11 I ever spent. Can get a very short Y on without tearing up claywork

10. rocco

rocco New Member

I agree with Jake Smith about the hard lines but Apoxie Sculpt is the s**t. I clay my eyes just as if it was regular clay and tuck. I use epoxy hide paste as well and they set up about the same rate so you do have a few hours to tweak things and then everything kicks off and there is usually very little to no clay work after the head is dry...maybe the bottom lip.

11. Ive done it with apoxie sculpt since 1996. Now i mix in 30%A + 30%B + 30% critter clay and get the same results. Fast setup, no shrinkage.

12. rocco

rocco New Member

I never thought you could mix the two different clays together..Good Idea! Apoxie Scuplt does get expensive.

13. dablaw

dablaw Member

The guy that teaches me taught me the same way T3_Kyle said except I just use one arm..Go through the mouth and fold the cape back..With your arm through it ond on his forehead, just pull the cape rightside out and over the form..Eyes are already semi set in clay and then just tweak.

14. Kyle Lakey

Kyle Lakey Active Member

haha yeah i forgot that part. I get it over the eyes with both arms then rotate my left hand to the top and anchor my hand over the eyes while I pull the hide down with the right hand. Once the y is behind the skull plate and holding behind the lip then I start workin it down the neck with the stout ruffer.

15. antlerman

antlerman NTA Life Member #0118

Here's a trick that works well. Taught to me many years ago, and I still use it to this day. Using critter clay set your eyes the night before you plan to mount. Bag and leave till next day. The clay will dry just enough to still be movable and workable the next day, but not to wet to distort when pulling your cape on.

16. 3bears

3bears Well-Known Member

MN
    I set my eyes with clay before I final prep my cape. By the time I'm ready to mount the clay has firmed up enough to not distort too bad. I do most of my sculpting and shaping after it is mounted.I don't like the idea of not being able to adjust the eyes while the skin dries. Usually by the time I get the sewing done the clay has softened back up, if not spray a little water on em. This works for me. Maybe I'll try Anlterman's way on one here soon. 3bears

17. hank

hank WHAT , ME WORRY ?

PA.
    Guys , why are you waiting over night or how ever long for your critter clay to harden up somewhat. You can sculpt your eyes right before you mount your deer. Instead of waiting for your clay to stiffen up, blow them with a hair dryer. They will harden up nicely in about 2 minutes. You are only hardening up the outer layers of the clay not all the way through. Enough to slide your cape over with out any or very little distortion. When the hide paste is applied and the skin is taxied around the eyes the hardened clay on the outside softens up a bit again and you can shape your eyes for the next couple of days.

18. antlerman

Well hank, you do it your way. I'll just say that the way I explained was taught to me by perhaps one of the best taxidermists to ever walk and so, I think I'll keep using his method. You don't have to if you don't want to but to criticize someones method when you obviously have no experience with it tells me you don't have much experience, so why would I or anybody else want to listen to you? If you want to question National Champion Jim Hunzaker, you go right ahead.

19. Trotax

Trotax Member

Ookay :eek:

20. antlerman

LOL It's just a system that works for me as your system works for you, but to basically call someone's system "stupid" without knowledge or experience with their system is kind of uncalled for don't ya think? There's a million ways to skin a cat. I doubt any of us has found all the ways yet. Not even George!