1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

what method for fixing split ears?

Discussion in 'Deer and Gameheads' started by KansasBuck, Mar 27, 2011.

1. KansasBuck

KansasBuck New Member

What method do you use for repairing ears that are split on the edges? If you glue, what glue do you use?

2. You can sew or glue with Zap a Gap. I like to use a dryer sheet for a band aid.

3. I clean with laquer thinner then run a bead of super glue and press it tight.

4. KansasBuck

KansasBuck New Member

thanks for the help. I wound up sewing them with firelilne. Seemed to have worked ok. Guess I'll see when I put the earliners in :-\

5. rocco

rocco New Member

Sewing is IMO the correct way for a big split but I do use super glue gel to fix small tears. Just use a tiny bit on the very edge or you will get a funky spot if you go in too far with the glue.

6. batshouse

batshouse Member

always sew them big or small. ive seen too many times them coming apart on guys mounts. After you sew then glue a band aid over the hole. I just shave a piece of the tanned skin off the cape that way every thing drys the same. Thats how I do it but everyone has there way. My way always works never had a problem.

Hope this helps

7. Shooterschoice

Shooterschoice work is for people who dont fish

x2

8. boarhunter67

boarhunter67 Well-Known Member

I sew and then glue as stated, but I have a lot of trouble after the glue dries getting the ear turned right side out. Once the gule hardens it seems to make it difficult to turn that part of the ear.

9. After you get it sewn up use tear mender on it. You can get it at any fabric store. It stays flexible and won't cause crinkly hard edges like zap a gap.

10. boarhunter67

Thanks for the tip.

11. papagoose

papagoose papagoose and goslings

i have done it both ways you guys speak of. i found a new way, i take some of the skin from the tannery after the thin the hide you can get this for free if you ask then i take the patch of skin cut it to fit usually a little bigger than the hole take some glue and glue over the hole.it seems to me that the area stays flexable and you can still turn it it also looks more natural you also do not have the threads showing on that short hair area it works pretty well

12. Bill Yox

Bill Yox Well-Known Member

Using liners makes those split or damaged ears an easier fix, thats for sure.

13. JSeiler

JSeiler Active Member

:)

14. boarhunter67

I went to JoAnns and they didn't have anything specifically called tear mender. They had several types of adhesives that they said would work, but all of them took at least 2 hours + to cure.