1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Business and Marketing Tip of the Week

Discussion in 'The Taxidermy Industry' started by Christie, Mar 28, 2011.

1. gab

gab Active Member

the problem ive had with referrals is that as long as theres a kickback involved people will refer deadbeats and crooks to you,then its your problem to get paid,but they still want the referral credit.

2. Jim McNamara

Jim McNamara Well-Known Member

As far as clients who bring in lots of work through referals I just offer them some add-ons or a nice deal to thank them. I do the same for long term clients who provide me a lot of work. Just a simple thing such as an upgrade on habitat or a slight discount for a mount or a nice panel to go with the mount.

3. dc taxidermy

dc taxidermy Me and My Baby's senior picture

I changed the name of my business so I would be listed first in the phone book, Most people use the first one they talk to. I also have my calls fowarded to my cell so If someone calls I am more likely to answer....DC

4. Christie

Christie Instructor, Consultant & Speaker

If you changed your business name, you have a whole lot more work to do to build that name recognition up to where you had it before. Also, if that's your business model, you aren't getting enough repeat business or word of mouth referrals. This statement goes against so many things, and is not a plan that I recommend. I think the second sentence is more likely the reason why you're getting the business. We're listed last, and we still get pricecheckers, and I know we weren't the only ones who picked up the phone.

5. Christie

Week 5: It's a Girl Thing

"If momma ain't happy, ain't nobody happy." And I HATE the word "ain't". The truth is, women are responsible for or directly influence at least 80% of the purchases made in the U.S. today. Now, when I tell that to people in my private classes, sometimes I get the response "Well, I don't know about that". Well.... I do. In fact, if you Google it (which I did), you'll find that the 80% is on the low side, and there are a little over half a million references to the fact.

Also, did you know that according to the MPA's Teen Market Profile of 2004 "Teens are also a robust part of the economy. They have a significant income of their own to spend and also wield increasing influence on household purchases. For example, in 2003, nearly half — 47% — of 9- to 17-year-olds were asked by their parents to go online to find out about products or services compared to 37% in 2001." That was from 7 years ago - imagine how much it's gone up since then.

So, who are you marketing to? Still marketing to the middle-aged man thinking he has the money and the decision-making power? Think again. Know the decision-maker, and adjust your business strategies accordingly.

6. Very good tip there Christie. I haven't had a chance to get a lot of my ideas actually finished and on display, but I have some things in the works that are geared directly to the wife. They are more on the artistic side of things but are a different way to display a trophy that I think will appeal more to women. I want to try to market directly to the wife that doesn't hunt, and doesn't want "that dang thing in my livingroom". The idea is to make it so the husband is only "allowed" to have me do the work. Plus I think the wife will be more likely to see the detail in my work compared to the husband that looks right at the antlers and then doesn't understand why I am $$$ more than the guy down the street.

7. Great thread...marking and bumping! :)

8. gab

gab Active Member

when marketing to the better half,it's good to have a separate area away from the blood and guts to talk.women like to have a place to sit down and look through catalogs and brochures.it's a form of choosing they are famiiar with.

9. Christie

Week 6: Tracking

About 20% of your business should come from new sources. Anybody who says all of your business should come from word of mouth is clueless. Your business is constantly evolving, and you have to do the same. There is no one set program that will work for everybody. Anybody catch the Phone Book Ad discussion on here? How do you know whether to keep the phone book ad or lose it? The only way to know whether your advertising is working or not is to track your business. If you're not paying attention to where your business is coming from, you will never know whether the money you're spending is helping you make money. Sometimes your business comes from surprising places. You have to know how to advertise properly and what works for you. Anything else is just guessing, and guessing can be very expensive.

10. Galen

Galen 218-263-7177 www.EdgewaterTaxidermy.com

I always try to ask when someone New walks in the door. Normally word of mouth. but it might of started with the yellow pages and then they had to find the number which was then in the phone book or on line if they looked it up that way .

Most people are on line but I know of number of people that Don’t want ANYTHIG to do with a Computer and if they cant find it in the phone book they don’t think they need it .

11. taxi_grl_ga

taxi_grl_ga Active Member

ok, i got a little behind, my question is from the topic from week 5. Being a female taxidermist, i feel like most wives have an issue A: with their husbands even calling a female taxidermist in the first place...and B: when they find out i'm not a 100-pound overweight knuckle dragger they don't want him coming in at all! how does a female get other females to open up those purse strings?? essentially i feel like i'm being "sized up" by the wife the second she walks in the door, it's as if the hackles are already up and it makes for quite an uncomfortable experience sometimes.

12. joeym

joeym Old Murphey

If a guy comes by with a deer and tells me he's got to go home and talk to his wife about it, I tell him very bluntly that he might as well saw the antlers off it and nail them o the barn door! I don't want to see them or the deer until AFTER he and his spouse have come to a concensus. I have returned a few deposits to guys who called back within hours of dropping off a deer because of family conflict. More than half of the wives don't want a deer in their house...and that's not far from the truth! They tolerate them for children much more than for husbands. Another great topic Christie!

13. linder

linder New Member

Enjoying this thread, look forward to reading more please keep them coming.

14. Wildside

Wildside Active Member

Lots of good info being shared!

15. Justin P.

Justin P. Active Member

Some of us one man / woman shops are so busy running the day to day we miss asking the right questions. Like that commercial that asked, "Is running your business getting in the way of running your business?" I love it when I can just be a taxidermist but the reality of running a small business requires you to wear ALL the hats. It's like juggling on one foot on the high wire sometimes. That being said details get missed here and there.
    Christie brings up an excellent point that is so obvious and simple but overlooked. You need the facts to make decisions. I hardly ever ask where my work is coming from. The conversation is always about getting all the info, pose, hunting story etc.
    I've been giving this some thought....This year I'll print a simple supplement and sneak it into each work order. A "How did you hear about me?" slip. That will force me to get the info. The client can simply checka box or add a comment. This will be fun.
    Thanks for the push Christie. (Hopefully the results of my survey allow me to CANCEL my Yellow Page listing :))

16. Christie

Some of the wives of the hunters (or our female hunters) are our best customers, and have often talked their husbands into something more. One example in particular, the husband wanted just a rug or a tanned hide, and the wife demanded a half-lifesize on the wall. Many times, a persons misconceptions can lead into the issue. You might or might not be "sized up" as a woman walks in the door, but if you're feeling that way, you might be subtly putting another woman on edge. Learning more about human behavior, knowing who the decision maker is, and learning how to identify and overcome objections can be a huge help in converting those troublesome customers.

17. Christie

Shameless plug time: These little bits of information are just that - little bits. It's not that I'm keeping things to myself, it's that the issues we're discussing rarely have a one paragraph answer. If you're really hoping to transform and make a difference in your business, seriously consider signing up for one of the upcoming classes. That's really where we paint the big picture.

18. So when you coming to Florida?
    I know the FSTA does some off season seminars. Yours would be great!
    Ron

19. Christie

If you can coordinate it, I'll come!

20. Eric E.

Eric E. Member

I have many cases when the wife is the contact from start to finish. They are the one that make the contact with the studio, they drop off the specimen and make the final decision of mount type and style and pay for the item all without ever seeing the husband even at pickup time.

I had a young customer (12) call me a few weeks back about a mount he wanted to do. I talked to him and answered any questions he had. The next day he walks in with his dad and wanted LS, wall display, open mouth, habitat THE WORKS! Gave him the price which at that point I thought he would look at and say...."so how much just for a shoulder mount?" but instead his dad said it is your money so if it is what you want then it is your call. The young man wanted it all so that is what he will get.