1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Business and Marketing Tip of the Week

Discussion in 'The Taxidermy Industry' started by Christie, Mar 28, 2011.

1. Yea, "What to hell do you want?" works good.

2. Christie

Christie Instructor, Consultant & Speaker

That is more effective if you have caller ID....

3. jim tucker

jim tucker Well-Known Member

Hell I have to be careful NOT to say Hello, Big Jim's Taxidermy when I asnwer a phone AWAY from home...;D had PLENTY of people say "oops, wrong number" when I pull that boner.

4. Jim I've had that same problem usually at my parents house whoever is calling them knows me also they start chuckling and say hi scott how are you oh well it keeps you in pratice

5. mdupertuis

mdupertuis Active Member

This is a great thread.....Christie, thanks for sharing information. I have enjoyed your tips as well as the thoughts and ideas of others. It has got to be a taxidermy.net record to have 6 pages and no fighting or getting off subject! Not sure I missed it, but where can I find information about your seminars?

6. Paul C

Paul C New Member

Christie has a post in the Training Section Marty. Or....you can PM her and she will give you all the details.

7. antlerman

antlerman NTA Life Member #0118

Marty, if you are thinking of attending one, come to the one in Illinois, then we can meet up and drink wine!! LOL

8. mdupertuis

mdupertuis Active Member

No that sounds like a plan!

9. Christie

We're still taking sign ups, so let me know if you're interested or need more info. I'd be happy to answer any questions over the phone, too.

10. JE

JE Well-Known Member

It's a bit far for me to travel to one of your seminars Christie, ( small matter of a bit of water to get across ) so in the mean time, keep this thread going please .
    thanks
    john

11. Christie

There's always Skype if you need it!

12. I'll be at the IL class! And yes I am freakin' excited about it!

13. Christie

Week 9: Your Biggest Asset

How much do you spend each month on gas? How about cable or electricity? I won't even ask how much you spend on groceries or how much you buy from suppliers. Okay, now how much do you spend on self improvement? You know, classes, training, expos, conventions? YOU are your biggest asset, and will increase in value. Your car payment probably runs $300-600/month if you have one, and your car is depreciating. Don't you think it would be wise to put some money towards something that appreciates?

How much is reasonable? I've heard that you should put as much into yourself as you do your car payment each month. For some people that might be right. If that seems overwhelming, think about putting aside 3% of your income for self improvement. Just 3%. If you have a mount go out and you get paid $500 today, put $15 in a envelope. If you get paid $1500 by the end of the week, put aside $45. Then, when you see a class or a convention or a workshop that you want to attend, you've already got some money set aside, and chances are you'll never miss the 3%, and you'll leave the class/convention/workshop as a better taxidermist.

14. jim tucker

jim tucker Well-Known Member

Good idea.

15. gab

gab Active Member

theres only a certain level you can rise to when training yourself,then you have to look to outside sources to expand on what you know.plus technology and techniques change constantly,from how you mount a head to how you communicate with clients.if you choose to live in the past and don't grow with the industry you will be left behind.

16. mdupertuis

mdupertuis Active Member

I agree 100%. I dropped a lot of money on materials, capes and training to have Dennis Harris in my shop a couple years ago, and the same to train with Gene Smith for a week last year. A lot of money. But both investments have paid for themselves and more. I am saving now to do a 1 on 1 workshop with Bill Yox. It is worth every penny to spend time with folks who can teach you new things.

17. Christie

Week 10: Mind Your Own Business

When talking to a client, do not set the client's budget for them. You have no idea what someone can or can't afford. You just need to know what you can or can't afford to charge for your services. Having a variety of options (antler mounts, Europeans, shoulder mounts, pedestals, lifesize) or payment options (monthly, quarterly, 50/50, or trade) will allow the client to let you know where their budget is.

"I can't charge $x.00 because my customers can't afford it." I've heard this argument and pointless other ones far too many times. I've said it before, and I'll say it again - I don't care what you charge. There's a price range out there for every taxidermist, and a client out there for every price range. I'll say something else again - the only one keeping you from charging what you want or need to be charging is YOU.

So, unless you are that persons budget coach, do not assume what your clients can or cannot afford. You're putting your own misconceptions in the way of running a successful business. Charge what you need to charge for your services. Know what your hard work, talent, and time away from your family is worth. If you're doing it as a second income, keep in mind most people get paid time and a half for overtime.

As I recently found out, you never know who keeps several thousand in "fun money" in their truck for just these types of things.

18. Becky P

Becky P One must believe the glass is half full.

Thanks Christi.
    Back to the women making the decisions. I set up a booth a few years ago and purposely took mounts that women would think were "cute" (bobcat lying on it's back, coon eating an egg type things) and NO aggressive mounts. I had lots of comments about how "unusual" it was to see "nice" mounts instead of mean looking mounts and that they (the women) wouldn't mind having something like that around. If I set up again, I'll do the same.

(Now to finish reading the last three pages of this, LOL)

19. Becky P

Becky P One must believe the glass is half full.

Taxi Girl, I'd bet that either he has cheated before or she's one of those very insecure wifes that thinks he has/will. Most of my experience has been the same as Codi's - they'd rather have a woman taxidermist.

20. Christie

Week 11: Me, Myself, & I

Here's your challenge for this week: Go pick up one of your favorite marketing materials -brochures, website, letters, ads, etcetera, and count how many times you use the words me, myself, or I in the copy. Come back here and post. If you refer to yourself in the third person, that counts too. If you're really brave, copy and paste your info with the count.

Okay? Ready, set, GO!