1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Business and Marketing Tip of the Week

Discussion in 'The Taxidermy Industry' started by Christie, Mar 28, 2011.

1. mdupertuis

mdupertuis Active Member

On my website, I use the word "I" one time, and that is in the form of a quote from me at the end. I do use the word "we" a bunch of times, which is first person plural.....if that counts. LOL! I also use my name a few times on the website when referring to training, etc.

2. Christie

Christie Instructor, Consultant & Speaker

We counts. I want numbers of how often you or your company (or we) are mentioned.

3. Wildside

Wildside Active Member

Its all about "our" clients and "their" tropheys.

4. RTF

RTF Active Member

A lot ! Just click my sig and you will see.

5. JE

JE Well-Known Member

I am very interested to see where this is leading ?
    when I was doing my web site I was conscious of using the word " I " a lot, and was actually thinking of other ways to word things.
    So is it a good thing or bad thing ???? :-\

6. Wildside

Wildside Active Member

You just used "I" Four times in three sentences. LOL

7. Becky P

Becky P One must believe the glass is half full.

It's hard not to use the word "I" when trying to promote oneself. You want the customer to believe they want YOU for whatever service and not someone else, yet let them know they, as the customer, are first priority.
    OK, Christie, what are we supposed to do???? ;)

8. The Story Lady

The Story Lady Fee Fi Faux Fum

Be Creative

Attached Files:

• Dog.JPG
      Dog.JPG
      File size:
      56.2 KB
      Views:
  9. JE

JE Well-Known Member

I see what you mean, I am now waiting to hear what I are supposed to be doing, I guess I will just have to wait, but I am impatient and I would like an answer please Christie, I have kept an EYE on this thread but still no answer. LOL
    John

10. joeym

joeym Old Murphey

24 times in third person. Here is the text on the home page of my website.

http://www.mstaxidermist.com

Now where are we headed with this Christie?

11. Christie

Sorry for the delay everyone. It's been a heck of a week.

Okay - NO. You want to avoid I, me, my, and we, whenever possible. Third person is okay to a point, but if you get too carried away it can be as bad as first person. Here's why: It's not about you. I know that your website is YOUR website, and people are going to it to learn more about you and your work, but they really don't want to know about YOU. They want to know WIIFM - What's In It For ME? Focus on what the customer's experience is/will be, and look at it from their point of view. What would you want to know if you were a client? What kind of helpful information can you include? A long list of your awards and accomplishments is a feel good for YOU when you look at your site, but how does patting yourself on the back benefit your clients?

My suggestion would be to have a single bio page on your website, and do not make it your home page. Make the homepage customer-centric, and include anything they would need to know about you on the bio page. That way it's there if they want to read it, and it's tucked away so that it doesn't change the focus of the site. Fill the rest of your site with useful information, and make sure that there is contact information on every page. Make it a site for your customers to visit, learn, and reference, and create a linkedIn account if you really feel the need to list your awards and accomplishments.

12. Christie

Week 12: Think of it as Wholesaling

I just received an email inquiring from someone wanting to create a poster, and wanting to know what I would suggest. I can offer three pieces of advice when it comes to having posters or brochures made:

1. Hire a graphic designer. Look around at some other posters and see which ones catch your eye. Find out who did them, and see if you can have that same person design yours. Whenever possible, hire a good graphic designer. It's a little more money up front, but it's not that expensive and you'll have a MUCH better product that will portray you MUCH more professionally. A good one will help you keep all of your marketing materials consistent.

2. Have them professionally printed. Essentially the same principal as hiring the designer. Also, make sure that the designer can give you a PDF of the poster/brochure so that you can email it or post a link online.

3. Proof, proof, proof. Sleep on it, proof again. Have someone else do the same. Order a small quantity to start. Sometimes once you get started, you realize that you missed something or want to change something. Have 1000 copies of an outdated version is much more costly in the long run.

Sometimes we get caught up in doing something ourselves to save money, when in reality, we'd be better off delegating to another professional. Use the time that you'd spend doing it yourself to work. The money you make should more than cover the cost involved.

13. The Story Lady

The Story Lady Fee Fi Faux Fum

I would recommend this book for web page and internet writing:

The Yahoo Style Guide By Chris Barr and the Senior Editors of Yahoo

"The Ultimate Sourcebook for Writing, Editing, and Creating Content for the Digital World."

St Martin's Griffin **New York
    July 2010

http://www.amazon.com/Yahoo-Style-Guide-Ultimate-Sourcebook/dp/031256984X

5.0 out of 5 stars Worth it's weight in GOLD., January 3, 2011
    By
    pharmacytechstudy - See all my reviews
    Amazon Verified Purchase(What's this?)
    This review is from: The Yahoo! Style Guide: The Ultimate Sourcebook for Writing, Editing, and Creating Content for the Digital World (Paperback)
    I'm the type who believes that even if you get one decent tip or piece of advice from a book that it makes it worth the price. But, this book has hundreds of jewels in it. My website traffic has increased exponentially ever since I got this book and started to "fix" all of my pages. Kudos to the authors. If you want to be taken seriously by the search engines, this book will show you how to clean up your act and get noticed.

14. JE

JE Well-Known Member

Anyone else busy changing their web site this week ? LOL
    Great advice again
    John

15. how does this fit in with the " you need to sell them on you and the work will follow"? i have heard this for years and know first-hand that most clients dont recognize the difference between good and great work.if they like you, you will get their work....same with their ability to make a decision on how to mount there piece.mount what you like to mount, in the poses you like and have them in your showroom. the client will pick from that 90% of the time.

16. Christie

It fits in quite well, since the quote should be "you should sell them on the benefits of using you and the work will follow". It's not about you. It's about what you can offer them. How much of a service can you provide? How far above and beyond do you go? How do you pay attention to their needs and wants? If you aren't focused on them, they won't be focused on you.

17. Christie

Week 13: Quote Time

“Education costs money, but then so does ignorance.”
    Statistician, Sir Claus Moser

18. Wildside

Wildside Active Member

“If opportunity doesn’t knock, build a door.”
    – Milton Berle

19. gab

gab Active Member

i think what she's saying is if you come across as pushy and egotistic,they won't like you.

20. Wildside

Wildside Active Member

"If you want it for free, Don't bring it to me!"
    -Terry Weick AKA "Trashfish"