1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

FIRST TROUT AND SECOND BASS MOUNTS

Discussion in 'Beginners' started by troutfisher, Mar 29, 2011.

1. troutfisher

troutfisher New Member

This is my first cold water fish mount and first time using an ARP artificial head a 23'' brown trout I got in 2009 in new jersey. first is a photo of me and the fish(the 1 on the right), I was a bit shocked on how fast the fish discolored, I kept her in cold water in a cooler just a few hours from lake to home.
    [​IMG]
    here is the fish mounted 1 photo inside and 1 outside
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

this me and a 22'' 6lb bass i got ice fishing this year in nepa
    [​IMG]
    this is the bass mounted this is my second bass mount
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The bass is my 4th fish mount and the trout is my 5th fish mount overall I am happy with both mounts to me they look good on the wall and I feel each fish I do looks a bit better that the 1 before. I find a great amount of joy in mounting my own fish. I have tried to use a few tips I got from the great people on this site. I trimmed the fins on the trout smooth and used 3m tape fix splits as someone had said and on the bass left them natural just fin cream no backing or trimming. I very much appreciate the experienced taxidermist on the site who takes the time to critique the mounts offer advice and answer questions for us beginners. With all that said what do you guys think? How did I do?

Thanks tom

2. Craig74

Craig74 New Member

Nice bass! I never have much luck ice fishing. What did you catch it on?

3. George

George The older I get, the better I was.

At this point in your career, you're doing pretty good. You need to turn down the pressure on your airbrush and stop pressing down so hard. The spots on both fish are too 'harsh' for my liking. Also remember that the dorsal area on all fish is very dark usually to act as camouflage. That means these dark colors cascade down the sides a bit so that your spot patterns are quite faded by the dark paint.

Your largemouth looks as if it has a lisp. You've bent the top lip down along with the head much too far giving it that appearance. It LOOKS as if you set the throat latch a bit forward as well which throws off the anatomy of your fish. If you get the chance, go to the tutorials here and look at the trout done by Jeff Lumsden and the bass by Cole Cruickshank. They're top of the line mounts that guys like me and you may not be able to duplicate, but if we can improve our work, that will be enough. Good luck.

4. troutfisher

troutfisher New Member

Thanks Craig I caught that bass on a tip-up with a live shiner for bait.

Thanks for the tips George. I turned down the air pressure yesterday when I painted my brookie and my daughter's Brookie. I think I got better results with all the dots on those fish (I will post picts later).I have trouble getting the adjustment just right, I’ll get just the smallest amount of paint coming out on paper and go to the fish and the brush will cut out in just a few dots. Do I need to use retarder in the paint? I am using life tone lacquer. Those two fish were already mounted but on my next fish I will try harder to get the skin aligned better with proper anatomy. As a beginner I look at my fish and say looks good to me but some things just not right. Thanks again for pointing out some of those things I need to improve on. I did take a look at the tutorials you mentioned all I can say is wow I only hope to someday make my fish look close to that good.

5. "Do I need to use retarder in the paint?"
    Yes...and thinner too.
    Ron

6. Shooterschoice

Shooterschoice work is for people who dont fish

i think they look great.... they look pretty gosh darn close to the ones your holding in the pictures so i would say keep doing what your doing

7. fozziebear

fozziebear New Member

i WANT TO FISH WHERE YOUR FISH'N !!!!!! ;D