1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

For Rick Krane......

Discussion in 'Fish Taxidermy' started by den007, Sep 1, 2006.

1. den007

den007 Active Member

Rick, I finally went and raised my pricing a very conservative $2 per inch on everything. Not only your advice, but a shipping bill was the catalyst for this. I got a 2 pound replica, 18 inches long from a major supplier. Cost of fish was about $100. Cost of shipping, etc......$25! In my state, you do not have to charge sales tax on out of state shipments. Maybe that is different in NC, but I got hit up for that too. Also sent COD....extra charge, when I ordered it with a credit card. I ship all over and have fish specially prepped and packed. This should not cost anywhere near what I was charged.

Talked to some of the top fisheads here in Wisconsin, and I have been in their ballpark with replicas, but too low on skin mounts and panfish minimum charges. The more I thought about it, the more I realized you had a valid point. Plenty of work from Washington state has been rolling in lately. I guess pricing is way high there. Getting a frozen small bass (kid's first) from there because the Dad said he would not pay the $27 per inch quote he got up that way.

One small step in the right direction I hope.

Thanks....Den

2. Rick Krane

Rick Krane Fish Taxidermist/ Judge/ Sculptor/ Instructor

Hey Dennis!

Your welcome! It is hard to do when it comes to raising prices for any of us. It is always that feeling of what if I don’t get the same amount of work or what will my customers think. I can only add this ever time I have done this I sure felt the same way and still do I guess. I think what I have learned is that there is always room for good work and a good business practices. If you deliverer in a timely fashion and are fair and consistent with your pricing your good work will always be what any one would want. NO doubt there are those always looking for the lowest price or an “I’ll givem a deal taxidermist” but remember most likely they are one time customers and the one word they spread about your business is you’re cheap and can do deals. You don’t ever want that kind of reputation.

Your work will carry you Dennis and you will make the customer a lifetime customer as long as you understand the value of a life long customer.

My Best to you!
    Got to paint Salmo trutta now.

Rick Krane
    Anglers Artistry

3. Monty

Monty New Member

I know where you are coming from. I look at the bottom line when I do taxes every year and see that I don't make enough profit. I need to get over that feeling Rick is talking about and raise my prices. I saw no decrease in volume of business last price raise of $2 inch. Making money is not my sole reason for doing taxidermy, but it is easily in the top three!!!